ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 274 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#133182 06/15/02 06:12 PM
P
pauluk Offline OP
Here's an interesting question, that I'd be interested in getting an answer to. I'm subtly hinting that our Austrian friend Texas_Ranger might possibly know something about this one.... [Linked Image]

I've heard that the German wiring regulations specify that the only cables which can be routed in or through the walls surrounding a bathroom are cables going to fixtures in the bathroom itself.

Could this be true? If so, what is the reasoning behind it?

If it is true, does it apply only to a wooden stud partition wall? In other words, if the wall is solid brick or concrete (as is the case in many houses in Europe), is it still permissible to run wiring on the other side?

If not, or if the wall is timber frame, how would one get around the problem of wanting a receptacle or switch in a room adjoining the bathroom?

#133183 06/16/02 10:13 AM
T
I have to admit I never heard of this. I also can hardly believe it. In Austria and Germany receptacles are allowed in bathrooms as long as they have a spring loaded lid covering the entire receptacle when nothing is plugged in. Wooden stud partition walls are highly uncommon, drywall is put up with standardized aluminum profile studs. On my opinion it would be nonsense with solid walls, so if it indeed exists, it can only apply for drywall. At least in Austria this rule doesn't exist.

#133184 06/16/02 03:08 PM
P
pauluk Offline OP
Thanks Texas.

I heard this rumor kind of third or fourth hand. I was also rather skeptical, because it just doesn't seem to make any sense to me either, especially so with solid walls.

I believe that virtually all of Continental Europe allows receptacles in bathrooms; it's only the U.K. and Ireland which specify isolated shaver outlets only, to the best of my knowledge. Again, it did seem illogical to be so pedantic about cables in the walls.

Interesting on the drywall going up on aluminum frames though. New construction here still favors brick outside walls, but inside partitions are usually drywall on timber studwork (drywall is known as "plasterboard" here).

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 06-16-2002).]

Link Copied to Clipboard