ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#133058 01/03/02 03:02 AM
P
pauluk Offline OP
ALCI? Is that the same thing as an AFCI?
If not, then that's another new one on me!

I still have an old late 1940s/early 1950s hair dryer here. It's not used as such anymore, but it's just right for warming or cooling components for fault-finding. (You can tell it must be old: It actually has "Made in England" on the label! [Linked Image]) It would probably violate numerous consumer safety laws if sold today; you can even replace the motor brushes without taking the covers off.

On a similar subject, I have an old 1930s household handbook which explains how to determine the polarity of a d.c. supply by dipping the wires into a glass of water and vinegar. Can't you just imagine the reaction of the publisher's lawyers if they tried something like that today?!

I haven't been to every part of the States, but I've traveled from NYC right across the Mid-West as far as central Nebraska.

I also toured around the South back in 1992/3 taking in FL, GA, AL, NC & SC. I loved it down there, especially up in the Appalachians.

Yep, I could quite easily get myself a big ol' trailer and become an English redneck if only the INS would renew my green card!

#133059 01/04/02 01:37 AM
E
The ALCI is our previously discussed appliance leakage current interrupter..not to be confused with an AFCI.
I had no idea that they made hair dryers back in the 40's! I was born in '47 so I guess I expect all modern conveniences to have been introduced beginning with the late '50's.
Yeah, the lawyers would have a field day about testing polarity in vinegar water. Reminds me of an electrician friend that cooked his lunchtime hotdogs by sticking two wires in opposite ends and poking the other end of the wires into an outlet! 'Course, he was from Austria..maybe electricians are a bit different there! Never did see any of his dogs explode (from too much salt), but I kept my distance just in case.
I saw your entry about hitting the road soon..we'll miss you..but I'm sure that when you reconnect you'll have lots of fresh content to share. If you ever make it back to the States, you have to get out West! I live in Oregon..lots of pretty country all around. Now that the Russians are making the price of oil drop, we can afford to travel a little more.
So any hint to where you are off to?

#133060 01/04/02 08:08 AM
P
pauluk Offline OP
Ah, it just hadn't registered in my mind what ALCI stood for.

I wasn't born until 1966, but you may have noticed from my other posts that I'm very interested in the development and history of electrics/electronics. I've found that a lot of people don't realize just how long some things have been around.

Tell them that the first trans-Atlantic TV broadcast by satellite was 1962 or that the first commercial microwave oven was marketed in 1949 and they sometimes look in disbelief.

I saw a documentary about Oregon some years ago, and just recently watched an early 1960s movie filmed on location in Ore. ("Ring of Fire," David Jansen as a sheriff for a change!). It certainly looks pretty country up there.

I'm planning on looking for a place over in France. Property's much better value there. Have you ever been there?

By the way, the oil prices have lowered the price of gas ("petrol") here compared to a year or so ago, but it still works out over $4 per U.S. gal.

#133061 01/04/02 10:45 PM
E
France? No, haven't been interested in going there..only lasted one day in a university French class. Professor was a little too effeminate for my taste..I wanted to learn French to seduce WOMEN!
Anyway, I about starved in the UK. I figured that if I went to the French countryside I would not only starve, but have the language barrier to deal with too.
So, will you be able to work down there?
My wife looks at those "charming" country cottages, from the western parts of France, and is thinking that the price is right too! I suspect that some day, when the economy around here picks up, we'll have to make it over there. I've turned vegetarian a few months ago and so I won't have to worry
about our not being able to find a place to get a meal. No one caters to vegetarians anyway, so we'll have to forage our way through the country!

#133062 01/05/02 09:34 AM
P
pauluk Offline OP
Bien, je parle un peu de francais, Monsieur. [Linked Image]

I'm certainly not fluent in French, but I can speak enough to deal with most everyday situations like shopping, asking directions, etc.

I'll concentrate on my technical writing work mostly, which will still be with British & American publishers, so no problem. I might pick up a little wiring work locally once I get settled and known in the area, particularly with any other Brits who are renovating and would feel more comfortable dealing with someone who is fluent in English.

Quite a few Brits live over there now in certain regions, usually quoting similar reasons like cheaper property & lower property taxes, getting out of the rat-race into a more relaxed pace of life, and so on.

I understand that a number of Dutch and Germans are also buying in the same regions for the cheaper property. I've yet to meet any Dutchman who doesn't speak English fairly well, and most Germans seem to speak at least basic English as it's taught as the "de facto" second language in that part of Europe. (Ask Texas Ranger -- He's from neighboring Austria.)

Although taxes are high in France if you have a large income, for those on more modest pay there are a lot of savings, e.g. property taxes and annual vehicle registration are quite a lot cheaper. And although still expensive by American standards, food & gasoline are slightly cheaper than here. The weather's a little better as well, of course!

I've just been looking at a rural house in Normandy: 2 BR, 1 bath, habitable with all services but in need of some work, in 3/4 acre of land for 170,000 francs. That's about £16,000 Sterling or U.S. $25,000. You can't even buy a small empty lot in southern England for that!

#133063 01/05/02 10:47 PM
E
Whoa! Texas Ranger is from Austria? Hope he didn't see that crack about the hot dog cooking Austrian (above)!
I can't believe that home price..there's got to be a catch.
Sounds like an adventure. I envy your freedom and wherewithal. Hope all works out well. Keep in touch when you can.

#133064 01/06/02 09:48 AM
P
pauluk Offline OP
Hehe... Are you reading this Tex? [Linked Image]

I guess we've all got our quirks. Do you know the large wirewound resistors that were very common as droppers in TVsyears ago? Usually about an inch diameter with green coating on the ceramic. I know of bench techs. who'd wire one to a suitable supply and dip it in their mug to keep their tea or coffee warm!

I suppose the "catch" with French property is that fees and taxes on purchase are higher than here - Up to 10% of the price - but it's still good value and you'll break even after a few years on the savings on annual property tax.

Some of the very cheap places need a lot (and I do mean a LOT) of work, but they're still far batter value England. Anyone selling an average 2-BR semi (one half of what you'd call a duplex) anywhere near London could easily buy someplace really nice in rural France.

VAT (sales tax) runs 19.6% on most things in France, although it's 17.5% here so there's not that much difference. They also have 5.5% VAT on food (tax free here), but it's still a little cheaper than Britain, as are quite a few other goods. It's probably down to the transport costs: Gasoline is about 10 to 15% cheaper in France, but diesel is not much more than half what it costs here.

Getting back on topic (sorry everyone!), some French wiring leaves a little to be desired, but hey, I know someone who can take care of that! [Linked Image]

#133065 01/06/02 01:37 PM
T
Yeah, I am from Austria, as said in a famous song here. The story about that electrician sounds like some stuff i heard from the days after WW II when most people assembled their appliances with parts from the dumpster, like a water heater made of wood and razor blades. just imagine to stick that thing into a metal pot!
We sure have some strange guys here ( some of the stories are in my thread "Austrian systems), but I never heard something like that. I think those guys can be found everywhere, but your story would be very likely to come from Spain or somewhere around. they have some REALLY strange work.
If that happened In the US he maybe was in the common belief of some DIY-guys "It's only 120V"
It also reminds me to the thread in the violations section "bare feet, a metal ladder and a drill motor".

#133066 01/06/02 05:32 PM
P
pauluk Offline OP
Oh boy... Spain! Some of the wiring there has to be seen to be believed!

#133067 01/06/02 08:13 PM
E
Howdy Tex, if its any consolation, the guy I was referring to was actually born in Czechoslovakia, and move to Vienna when he was a kid.
Tell us about the wiring in Spain! Perhaps time for a new thread?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard