ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 96 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#132936 10/20/01 12:58 AM
D
dbc Offline OP
Really need some help here. My company is going to South America, Africa, and the Middle East during 1rst, 2nd, and 3rd Qtr 2002 on some government contract work. This may sound crazy but I am having difficulty locating TEXT BOOK type material on the European distribution 380/220 50 HZ wiring systems. I have an extensive library including the American series and lots of Tom Henry's stuff but in NON of my books can I find these systems. They are 4 and 5 wire systems and of course three phase. I have surfed the internet-no avail. Although I am familiar with what to do, I know some of my guys are not, and there will be times when I can't be with them. Will I have to write my own guide for them? Please e-mail me here or at dbooker549@aol.com or call toll free 1-800-303-0045
Thanks!

P
I think you may have difficulty finding guides that discuss European systems as a whole in anything but the broadest terms. Although there is a standard 220/380V system and certainly a gradual move toward what the EU calls "harmonization" of standards, each country still maintains its own methods at the moment. For example, France and Germany use different connectors, different circuit arrangements, etc.

I understand a similar variety exists in Africa due to former colonization (e.g. Algeria follows French standards, but Kenya follows British methods). I think the same goes for the Middle East (I know one or two countries there use British methods & fittings).

You may have to resort to searching for information under each individual country.

The German VDE standards organization publishes a large assortment of technical books, some in English, so you might try there as a starting point:
http://www.vde-verlag.de

(Scroll down to "Products in English")

Link Copied to Clipboard