ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 520 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Paul,
The term Multiple-Earthed Neutral system of supply, may help you.
The Neutral is terminated at the 'Star-Point'
of the Star side of the Delta-Star(11kV/400V),Berm Transformer, the Neutral is also earthed at various points along the lines, out of the secondary side of the X-former, just depends upon the length of Radial run, normally we like to earth the Neutral at every point possible, but this is also done at every consumers installation via the N-E Busbars. [Linked Image]

P
pauluk Offline OP
Same principle as the British PME (Protective Multiple Earthing) where we have multiple earths along the run of the neutral.

So are you saying that the neutral-earth bond at the house is actually between the neutral & earth busbars in the panel?

Yes, exactly Paul, it is done to keep the line-earth loop resistance under control.

P
pauluk Offline OP
Sorry for any confusion -- I was just trying to establish beyond doubt the exact point in the installation at which you have neutral and earth bonded together.

In the U.K., the neutral and earth busbars in the distribution panel are kept strictly isolated. The N-E bond is made only at the incoming service block before the meter.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard