ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 274 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Kent,

Are these manufactured in Sweden for the domestic market there, or do some of the international companies such as GE and the like make them also? This is a very interesting setup!

kent,

When I look at this I feel as if I'm looking at pictures of Mars or something! ( [Linked Image] ).
This is very different than anything I've ever seen. As Paul had commented, the first thing that comes to mind is the part about the service coming in and then continuing to other Houses.
Here, we can't even have an overhead service line cross over someone elses' property!

Can't wait to see more!

Bill

Bill
P
pauluk Offline OP
I don't know about Sweden, but we have one or two names in the U.K. that would be familiar to you. Both GE and Square D are now selling panels/breakers and other switchgear here, though as you might expect it's quite different to their North American equipment.

Hubbell also sell some accessories here, but it's mostly connectors for industrial use, no domestic stuff.

K
Thanks Bill. Can you post 2 other pictures of panels for me? I’ll mail them to you.

Pauluk, Bill

About the cables going though. This is not normal standard. I can’t figure out why they did it like this. Maybe they wanted to save some cables.

About the fuses. It’s a type of “melt fuse”. The fuse holder (which is what you see in the picture) is like you said similar to a light bulb screw base. I’m not familiar with the name Edison fuse but that maybe what you call them. What kind of fuses do you use if not C/B’s.

Sparky

Correct, it’s the main switch. It’s placed before the main fuses (another odd thing with this unit). I had the pleasure of replacing it (the old one didn’t break all 3 phases). If this had been a normal panel you just loosen the main fuses and work safely. With the switch before the fuses it’s a bit harder. Had to go out in the street to the Power Company junction (we are not allowed in their boxes but we have a key anyway) and remove their fuses. With this odd connection, 3 houses on the same branch I had to cut the power to the neighbour as well.

electure

This particular panel is from, I would guess the 50’ or 60’s. I don’t know who made it but it could be ASEA also known as ABB. Various Swedish companies are still making them but I don’t know if they are used in other parts of the World so I can’t say if , for example GE manufactures them. The increasing use of MCB have put these type of panels a bit to the side but in some cases and by some people they are to prefer.

Have a another picture for you. This time a apartment panel. You have to watch where you put you fingers when working with a “hot” one.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 08-23-2001).]

Fuseman
kent,

• Is that item on the left some sort of a Main Disconnect? Does it have any overcurrent protection?
  • What is the thing on top?

Bill

Bill
K
Bill!

Is that item on the left some sort of a Main Disconnect? Does it have any overcurrent protection?
Yes that’s the main disconnect. The panels overcurrent protection are the main fuses (16 A for each phase) which can be found at the meter panel. All meters for the different apartments are placed together. A room in the basement is a good place.

What is the thing on top?
I’m not sure which picture you’re referring to. If it’s the one with the cover off so are “the things on top” two
Copper bars. One neutral bar and one ground bar. They are connected together with a type of screw. The two black things on top of the picture (when the cover is still on) are stickers that’s reminds you to tighten the screw properly.

Fuseman
Paul,
There are some interesting comments here,
just thought I would bring this one up again.
Nowadays over here, we are required to re-locate the meters outside, where any serious work happens on the switch-board inside, the likes of changing the Main Switch or replacing the Neutral/Earth busbars or installing a new Main Earthing Lead.
BTW, all of the above work has to be inspected too, before the CoC, can be legally filled out. [Linked Image]

P
pauluk Offline OP
There's no requirement to relocate the meter outside here, although some people opt for that if they're spending big money on a complete refit.

D
djk Offline
In terms of the fuses both of those panels look VERY like what you'd find in an older installation in Ireland.

They're Diazed fuses... nothing very unusual or unique to sweden.

A modern irish panel still retains neozed main fuses.

Single phase - 1 fuse.
three phase - 3 fuses.

They'll be followed by the more modern gear.. RCDs, MCBs etc but are still there JUST INCASE something mechanical sticks.

As for isolating the premises from the mains power. The modern meters have an isolating switch on the bottom to allow electricans to completely change the panel without needing the power company to remove the fuse.

T
If I ever see a real huge 3ph Diazed panel I really _have_ to take pictures. I can post pics of a 2circuit 1ph one though.
Our diazed elements look slightly different. They're rectangular, mounted vertically, and each fuse has it's own porcelain cover. So you don't have a front cover, only the individual fuses. The phases are usually side by side, on the left you've got the 3 phases, on the right there's the neutral. 3ph circuit have a connector block on the neutral, plastic, porcelaine or Pertinax (no idea how that's called in English) with 2 screws and a solid metal link, all open. 1ph circuits are distributed across the phases in a zigzag pattern, after some time the pattern becomes quite random. Ground bus bar is usually at the top, like in the pictures.
Service arrangements vary. I've seen main fuses and meters in a single enclosure outside, or an enclosure for the main fuses and the meter next to the panel. (most common in older installations). So with the main fuses you can isolate everything, including the meter. Electricians even have the key to the PoCo cutouts in the street, so they can isolate the house feeder and the risers. Saw them do that when they installed a new feeder some time ago (the old one was rotting away, and it wasn't buried deep enough when we built the garage), huge cable, each of the conductors at least 1cm in diameter.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard