ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
sparky Offline OP
I'm convinced my amswer machine is conspiring to ruin me.

It is inconsitent, unmanagable, cuts people off, and operates just short of leaving it's own messages of ill-repute.

I am contemplating some taget practice....

Does anyone here know of a good model?
In particular, i need to retrive messages from a cell.

(I CAN be taught....)

H
Sounds like my cell phone - I could be standing right next to a Sprint PCS tower and it would still drop the call. Okay, Okay so I have chucked it across the room a couple of times but only when it was being bad...

Anyhow Spark - why not just get voicemail? I am pretty sure its available all over the country (I could be wrong) - but you can pretty much do anything over the phone with it...retreive messages, record greetings, - I am starting to sound like that lady on the voicemail system...

J
I have been using Talkworks Pro from Symantec. I run it on the PC. It will answer the phone or fax. It can also be set up to forward a message to a cell phone or pager when a message is left.

The program is probably still available from a surplus software co.

W
Sparky,
I was having the same trouble with mine! (Your talking about the desktop answering machines right?)

Excuse me while I zero in the scope! [Linked Image]

O.K.

Well I happened to get a call from my local telephone company offering a package that included a voice mail service so, I thought I would give it shot. It took two weeks before I got around to setting it up and after I did I figured it was 2 weeks too late. It had messages on it before I even put a greeting on it. [Linked Image] (Had too eat some crow with a few regular customers) It works great!!!!!!! I also have the option to forward my calls to any number I want. When I know I will be out all day I forward them to my cell. Since I pretty much do most things by myself forwarding the phone makes me more accessable. And if I can't answer the cell it also roles over to voice mail.

Wirewiz

P
British Telecom has a basic voicemail system they call "Call Minder." Checking if there are any new messages is quick from home -- Just pick up and listen for an interrupted dial tone.

I have no idea if the voicemails on offer in VT do this (who is that up there now -- Verizon? Not NYNEX any more is it?), but the standard setting here is that if the line is busy any new incoming calls go straight to voicemail instead of getting a busy signal.

When I used the service I found that annoying, as people would assume that you were out. They had an option to return busy signal, but you had to request it specifically.

This system also came with a default message if you didn't record your own -- A very generic "Please leave your message" type of recording. Unfortunately, it was the same standard BT voice as used for the irritating nationwide "The number you have dialed has not been recognized" intercept. Not what most callers want to hear, thank you very much!

Have to say that I prefer my own machine connected to the line though. Just old-fashioned I guess.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 08-29-2002).]

E
Currently I have my office line forwarded to my cell. My cell voicemail does a pretty good job, but I'm probably going to make a change soon. I'm considering off site voice mail or hiring a receptionist/office manager.

S
sparky Offline OP
We have V-tel in Vermont, i'm going to check out voicemail, thanks

receptionist/office manager.

the ultimate fix EE...

G
sparky, have you checked into Nextel? they have a lot of options, and works really well, here in ohio......
just a thought...(i actually have those from time to time)

[Linked Image]
ron

B
Voicemail is a good idea and is considered as reliable as phone service itself.

Over the years have gone through several machines. Anyone remember Code-A-Phone?

From swill-mart, there's a $28 Sony TAM-100. It's voice status is sluggish at playback, but a power failure will not dump recordings, and has no battery. You do have to reset the clock after repowering.

Link Copied to Clipboard