ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#132564 02/02/07 02:41 PM
K
Kenbo Offline OP
I dont wish to draw away from the forum chat room but has anyone got experiance of using Skype?

I am going to be a grad-dad (first time) and have downloaded skype so we can see and talk to the baby when it arrives in the summer (daughter lives in germany)so just setting it up now.

My wife let me get rid of the old steam driven PC on the condition we get a web cam and "Skype" no hardship there. I am told this thing has two processors. All I know is it is fast.

Still like to know what you all think of skype? (not found any one to talk to yet)

der Großvater
#132565 02/02/07 04:01 PM
S
Skype rocks!!!

I use it for internatinal calls all the time. The only draw back is that you must stay glued to your computer during the conversation, but for the cost difference and the ability to see who you are talking to it is worth it.

#132566 02/02/07 06:55 PM
S
I use skype all the time for video calls- my parents (6 hours away) and my sister (in london) both have broadband and webcams and it works out pretty cool for that [Linked Image]

Sound quality isn't as good as a regular telephone and the video is choppy and can break up, but hey, it's free!

[This message has been edited by SteveFehr (edited 02-02-2007).]

#132567 02/02/07 07:49 PM
I'm on it Ken, about 10 months. Love it! Sound quality is improving all the time. We also make a lot of long distance calls to Blighty, and an analysis of costs savings from our old utility bills show savings about the cost of broadband, 25 Euro [ £16 ] a month. Nice to chat away without worriting about the money. You need Windows XS now I think. I'm with Alice/tiscali, BTW, excellent provider, no hassle at all! I have a headset, a Logitec, [Amazon on line], a lot cheaper than Curries. One son has a mike/speaker set up, and that causes a lot of echo/feedback problems. Another has a skype "phone", v. good quality sound. Dial up is also possible, you buy credits with your card online, and dial with the mouse on a screen pad. At an astonishing 1.7p a minute anywhere in the world- landline calls, [mobiles are extra]. Make sure you get the lowest line rental charge from BT if you use Skype a lot, cancelling all the frills like Fiends and Family, which you won't need any more.
Recommended, but keep a std. phone for emergency 999 use, of course.

Alan

PS. If you fancy a chat once you get up and running, you can find me via my e-mail address in the profile [?] box. Skype tells you when contacts are on line, BTW.

[This message has been edited by Alan Belson (edited 02-02-2007).]

Wood work but can't!
#132568 02/02/07 08:20 PM
K
Kenbo Offline OP
Alan thanks for that you have a skype message (I hope)

I currently use a company called "Planet talk" Glasgow based £14.99 pm 1mb unlimited download, free evening and week end calls to the UK and 2p per min to germany (i work 8-4.30ish off weekends) 2.5p to alaska we have a friend there, So Jen can talk all day and it will not break the bank. Just pay my line rental to BT

Kenny

der Großvater
#132569 02/03/07 07:40 AM
Now here is a rant for you.
TelecomNZ "packetises" all the data that leaves NZ on it's network, not a problem for anyone using the Net.
But I tried to have a VOIP conversation with my brother in London and his audio was crystal clear, he said he couldn't understand me, I've since found out that TelecomNZ uses this to stop people from trying to make international phone calls without paying their (exorbitant) Toll charges.
Oddly enough, TelecomNZ is due to release their own VOIP system, talk for as long as you like for no charge.
The phone will cost NZ$250 and you will be charged $25 a month for the priviledge, only $20 less than having a standard home line.
I won't be getting one.
Give the people what they want, eh?.
I've rung PaulUK from here on my cell-phone here and it has cost me a fraction of what it would have done on my land-line, my cell-phone is with Voda-phone.
Somehow, things seem to be all upside down!. [Linked Image]

#132570 02/03/07 03:45 PM
G
I had one reason to end with skype, I had sent them a base amount, and they took it as some period has elapsed, maybe 1 year or so.

It`s a bit annoying.

Otherwise skype can be used anywhere where you have wifi, in cafes, or other hotspots if you have a phone which has wifi in it. Nokia has those and the new iPhone will also have the screen. Skype has a special software for these "mobile"/wifi phones.

The world is full of beauty if the heart is full of love
#132571 02/03/07 04:37 PM
Gloria, Wow! Hungary 1, New Zealand 0!

180 days of inactivity automatically erases the credits, not unreasonable if you look at some no-contract mobile-phone deals. All you need do is phone your folks/friends on 'dial-up mode' once every month or two for a chat to keep your credits intact.

Ken, I have put you on my contacts list now.

Alan

Wood work but can't!
#132572 02/06/07 10:52 AM
G
That`s a good idea, the only problem is I`m not a female in this sense, I hate to talk on the phone. Which is a shame, because I`d really love to have a conversation with some of you guys. :~)
Anyway, I`ll try to be online in the chat hours.

The world is full of beauty if the heart is full of love

Link Copied to Clipboard