ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 277 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#13247 08/28/02 11:45 PM
Go Here!

(Warning! It may take a few minutes to load on dial-ups)

I finally got around to taking pix of one of the old load centers at the Lowe Motor Inn in Point Pleasant, WV.

The photo quality ended up being disappointing, but I'll give ya what I got!

Go Here!

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 08-28-2002).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
B
So that's what fuse wire is used for...

P
I wonder if the manufacturer and/or the installer of this board ever imagined that it might be in service for almost a hundred years?

Thanks Virgil!

T
Excellent.
Just watch the fingers. [Linked Image]

I am glad they kept that.

Trainwire

S
man, i sure could use a supplier of oak-sided panels & disco's....

[This message has been edited by sparky (edited 08-29-2002).]

W
They just don't make equipment of that quality anymore. Just think of how many manhours went into making this panel.
Many years ago, I went to the First Presbyterian Church in Spartanburg, SC to review their electrical installation. They were going to make an addition to the building and add more parking lot. The original Main Switchboard was built similar to the one in the photos. It was larger and at some time, someone had added glass in front of the switches. But the slate work was beautifull, and the copper busses were as shiny as a new penny.
Thanks to Virgil for sharing quality work with us.

M
Virgil:
I hope the people at Lowe realize what a treasure they have there and do all they can to keep it intact.

I'm hoping that these panels are located in the hallways where people can get a good look at them... It's a shame that attention to detail and quality like this is rapidly disappearing. Glad they unlocked so that you could take some good closeups of the interior.

Thanks so much for the pix!! [Linked Image]

Mike (mamills)

H
Sparky,

Yeah, I saw that same type of panel here in NJ. It is almost a beautiful work of furniture. The craftmanship that went into making these boards must have taken a long time. There is one of those in place (and still working) in a fireman's retirement home that I used to maintain. Maybe I can grab my son's digital camera, take a few pictures of it, and try to post it here.

Harold

There's one of these panels in the hallways of each of the four floors, in plain view for all to see. The first time I stayed at the Lowe I noticed them, works of art, indeed.

I'm under the impression that the owner of the Lowe is/was an electrician, because when his daughter introduced us, she said "he's an electrician too, dad!"... He did mention a better detailed history than the little that I remembered. These four panels and the K&T wiring are all that's left, the kitchen and switch gear/ service has all been updated. I think he realizes the treasures they've got.

I forgot to ask where he gets the fuse wire...?

Boy, I got to remember the macro setting on all the pix next time...

[Linked Image]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
Tom Offline
Virgil,

Very nice indeed. If you ever get to Parkersburg, stop in at State Electric Supply, they have a small display of old electrical equipment. One thing I've noticed about the old stuff, it was all first rate equipment, no shortcuts.

Tom

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard