ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 376 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Gloria Offline OP
I`m trying to catch the other Gloria sometimes too, but same result. [Linked Image]

The world is full of beauty if the heart is full of love
How Do You punish your PC?

Depends if it's the PC or Mac. If it's the Mac, I quit the app and go on. If it's the PC, well, put it this way. "Fourth of July," 120VAC, "computer" and "Ian" shouldn't be used in the same sentence! Silicon sandwich anyone? I've also fried many a power supply by accidentally switching the PS from 110volts to 220.

I find Microsoft products are punishment enough, for me and my computer.

So true. A Linux PC doesn't get the aforementioned "treatment."

Ian A.

[This message has been edited by Theelectrikid (edited 12-09-2006).]

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
P
I've killed many a computer in my day:

1998, killed an old Mac with a B&W screen (had color paint program that printed in color, I had to remember what colors were where). I just stripped it for parts. Did the same with an NEC 386/25.

2000, I dropped an old Compaq 386/25 out my 3rd story window because the case fan quit (no psu fan) and the processor got too hot and it froze. Plugged it back in, and it still worked. Thought the CPU was fried, but I guess it just got too hot.

2003, My brother spilled soda in his computer, and after trying to get it working again, I realized it was futile. Took a 10 pound sledge hammer to it.

Also had an old tube amp. I couldn't find a schematic, so I couldn't fix it (it had been partially scrapped when I got it.) I kicked all the tubes (including some nifty 807's, what a waste!) and capacitors flying all over the place. The friend that gave me the amp gave me the schematic the next day [Linked Image]

I'm an old fashioned guy, I guess.

G
I have a disk drive with a shot pin through it. Another one that a .380 slug bounced off of, does that count?

[Linked Image from members.aol.com]

Greg Fretwell
G
Gloria Offline OP
LOL

Ian, as far as I remember, I changed too from 110-220, I still don`t know what I did, but that pc never worked again.
Does it harm the motherboard, or just the power box?

The world is full of beauty if the heart is full of love
Josh,
Also had an old tube amp. I couldn't find a schematic.
You mean to say that you wrecked a perfectly good valve amplifier, because you didn't know how to trace a simple circuit?.
Hell, you should be ashamed, because if you can't trace a valve (toob) circuit, there is nothing simpler.
Hmmmmm.

P

You mean to say that you wrecked a perfectly good valve amplifier, because you didn't know how to trace a simple circuit?.
Hell, you should be ashamed, because if you can't trace a valve (toob) circuit, there is nothing simpler.
Hmmmmm.

When I got it, it was partially scrapped. This was actually the first tube amp I got, and I may have been able to figure out part values with the knowledge I have now, but not then.

I did save the transformers and 807's tho [Linked Image]. Never did get to rebuilding it, that's my current project (I'm turning it into a guitar amp, hence my question about the 7800 regs in the Theory forum)

B
I once connected an old CD-ROM drive directly to 120V. I had an old power connector I cut off a dead power supply and wired that to a 120V cord.

It smoked and buzzed for about 10 seconds before it stopped.

When I took it apart, almost every chip on the board had a crater in it because the top blew off.

We were talking about hooking 'em up to 600volt welder outputs the other night on the General Chat. Now I have an excuse to get the welder out! Might trip a breaker though. Hmm. Gotta think of somethin' else.

To the HD with the bullet hole:

ROFLMAO!! Hey, I can make a lot of $$ off all these HDs and floppy drives lying around by selling them to the gun club down the road as shooting targets! Or sell 'em to my dad. [Linked Image]

I once connected an old CD-ROM drive directly to 120V. I had an old power connector I cut off a dead power supply and wired that to a 120V cord.

It smoked and buzzed for about 10 seconds before it stopped.

When I took it apart, almost every chip on the board had a crater in it because the top blew off.

I know what I'm doing Tuesday when I have off!

Ian, as far as I remember, I changed too from 110-220, I still don`t know what I did, but that pc never worked again.
Does it harm the motherboard, or just the power box?

Hmm, I would tell ya, but I fried my last "spare" ATX power supply last weekend when I plugged in one two many hard drives and CD-ROMS. Still have an AT lying around somewhere though. Nahh, can't fry that one, it actually works sometimes.

Ian A.

[This message has been edited by Theelectrikid (edited 11-05-2006).]

Heheh, I finally got my excitement this past weekend. Someone up the road had been gifted an eMachines Tower running Windows Vista Home. I'll say it was a year old. Anyhow, they threw it on the curb for the trashman, and when I asked why, the man said, "That thing's junk!" So I took it home and played around with it for a while, until I got tired of all of the Security Messages. (A message for a Solitare Game?!) I turned it off, and, well, put it this way, it failed it's piloting test laugh. I pulled the hard drive, DVD Burner, and AGP card (the onboard NIC and the three PCI slots were dead), and out the window into the side yard it went. Made my weekend.

Ian A.

PS: It is now resting, in pieces, in the Tullytown Landfill.

Last edited by Theelectrikid; 03/27/07 11:27 PM.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard