ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#132368 04/05/06 10:14 PM
Trumpy Offline OP
Guys,
I have a lot of old cassette tapes here that are starting to wear out from overplaying.
My question is, is there an easy way that I can transfer the music off of these tapes into the Hard Drive of my computer and then burn them to a CD-R disc?.
I've looked over the Net and there are more than enough companies willing to do it for you, but is it possible for this sort of thing to be done at home?.
I'm not looking to circumvent any copyright laws or the like, considering I already bought the tapes, shouldn't I be allowed to make 1 copy legally?.
Anyway, that is sliding off-topic, anyone have any advice?.
I'm using Win XP and have Windows Media Player at the moment.
Your advice would be gratefully recieved.
Cheers,
Mike. [Linked Image]

#132369 04/05/06 10:34 PM
T
Does your soundcard have an audio in? A cable from the cassette deck to the soundcard "in" should take care of the first 50%.. next is some software that will "record" the input into a computer readable format. Win 9x had an audio recorder feature that would record input sounds as a .wav file

If I recall correctly, your'e a linux guy too, maybe this will take you the other 50% of the way:
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/about/

#132370 04/05/06 10:59 PM
J
Mike,
I purchased 2, ADS Tech Instant Music RDX-150, 1 for me & one for best bud. They were about $40 each. They also have an "Instant Video" Interface.
Joe http://www.adstech.com/

#132371 04/05/06 11:18 PM
G
It is easier to go to alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.<decade> and download the songs you have already paid for.
There may be some moral problem with stealing a song you didn't buy but if you have the tape, you own the song. Even Bill Gates agrees with this concept and he is the king of intellectual property.

Greg Fretwell
#132372 04/06/06 04:56 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
I'm personally with Trollogs idea, however I don't have Linux since a fire wrecked my office here and I'm back to WiMP10.
It seems to me to offer nothing to the home user, but everything to those that have no clue how to use a computer.
Windas XP, the system of the masses.
There may be some moral problem with stealing a song you didn't buy but if you have the tape, you own the song. Even Bill Gates agrees with this concept and he is the king of intellectual property.

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 04-09-2006).]

#132373 04/06/06 07:57 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Sorry,
That is getting way off topic.
I was reading somewhere on the Net, where you could even cache Vinyl to your hard drive and then burn it to a CD-R disc.
But bugger me, I can't remember where I read it.
How sad is that?!. [Linked Image]

#132374 04/06/06 10:22 AM
P
Mike,

Do you have something like the Nero Burning ROM software? (It's often the bundled Windows software with a CD-Rewriter drive.)

The Nero package comes with an editor, which you can use to sample your tapes into a PCM WAV file via the line input of your audio card. You can also use it to edit out tape hiss between tracks, apply any other filtering, etc.

#132375 04/06/06 11:56 PM
J
Mike,
The Instant Music interface has phono inputs and outputs, USB to the puter, and comes with the "Nero" software. My desire is to hook it up to the tape recorder output of my graphic EQ and get my records over to MP3. Then, I want to put a few hundred favorites onto a CD. I already have a cheap Cyberhome DVD player that plays just about everything, unlike my expensive DVD player. The DVD already gets back to my receiver through an A/V switcher. But let's face it, the source doesn't matter if it's a line level analog output.
I bought the interface and installed it last summer and haven't really played with it since. It looked like I might have had to purchase some sort of plug-in to use the Nero software to convert to MP3. But again, I paid less than 40 bucks for it. You might want to check out the vast selection of audio interfaces at http://www.musiciansfriend.com/
I think I checked out ones from $150 to a couple of grand for a friend's home studio project.
Joe

#132376 04/14/06 10:19 PM
Trumpy Offline OP
Thanks for all your help guys. [Linked Image]
I have stumbled upon a problem with my CD Writer.
While I've only ever uesd the thing to save important files and the pics I've uploaded to ECN, I've hit a stumbling block when it comes to burning music CD's.
I use Ahead Nero 6 to run the CD-writer, I go to add WMA files to the list and I am told "No file exists" even though I can see it and it can be played in Windas Media Player.
All I want is to remove a lot of the 450 songs in my computer to free up a bit of memory space, can anyone please help?.

#132377 04/14/06 11:43 PM
J
Mike,
I always just have the Direct CD program set the CD-R up as a drive letter and use Windows Explorer to move the files around. Those various play list and music CD creators just drove me crazy.
Joe

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard