ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 516 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#132378 04/15/06 12:26 AM
G
Joe, the only problem with using the virtual drive method is they write CDs in a proprietary fiormat that another machine may not be able to read. You are better with using a burner program and making Joliet (usually called "data disk" by burners) files. "Music" CDs are yet another format (CDA)

I am guessing Trumpy's WMA files are not recognizerd by the burner when it tried to convert to CDA. I think most only take WAV or MP3s. WMAs may also have the copyright bit set.
He can probably make Joliet files but a CD player won't see them.
Winamp will let you make WAVs out of your WMAs and then you can burn a music CD but you need a lot of disk space.

Greg Fretwell
#132379 04/15/06 08:19 AM
P
The Nero Wave Editor will read WMA files, then they can be saved as WAV or MP3 which the burner software will recognize.

Edited to add:

I've just tried Nero 5, and it will accept a WMA file for burning an audio CD (CDA) just fine.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 04-15-2006).]

#132380 04/15/06 11:37 AM
J
Mike: All I want is to remove a lot of the 450 songs in my computer to free up a bit of memory space, can anyone please help?

Greg, it seems that you and Paul are much more "in tune" with Mike's various options. I think we need to consider if our goal is to burn music CDs or to archive music files on CDs. I decided to stick with MP3 files at the 128 kbit rate. I realize that a normal CD player will barf on them. But I outfitted my last car with a Rio portable MP3 player and modulator before ultimately putting a nice JVC in the dash. When shopping around, I found that many players didn't see all 106 songs on my disc. The JVC did and told me I what I was listening to, so I bought it. There is nothing like being able to make an 8 hour drive back home, listenng to your favs on one disk.
My 5 disc changer has just suffered demonic possession, whirling around, opening & closing its drawer. I have my cheapo, plays everthing, DVD player hooked up to the same stereo, so I'm using it for CDs. But right now, I have a jazz MP3 disc with 119 cuts on it, playing some Joe Sample. Since the TV is on, it's showing me the artist, song, album, genre, and year. (The year is just the file date so forgetaboutit) It sure beats "track 15" on the display for an audio CD.
I use "Real Player" to open up my music CDs. If it doesn't automatically, I tell it to "get CD info" fronm the Net. Then I tell it to save the tracks. I just copy the folders I want onto CD-Rs to archive, but also to play on the road or on the good audio system through the cheapo player.
Joe

#132381 04/15/06 05:08 PM
G
If you get a player with a DVD drive it will hold a thousand songs or more.
Your 450 sounds like 3 CDRs. The safest way to burn is to use Nero or something similar and burn a data disk.
My MP3 players are all PCs playing off hard drives with DOS/MPXPLAY

Greg Fretwell
#132382 05/02/06 05:26 PM
Trumpy,
My question is, is there an easy way that I can transfer the music off of these tapes into the Hard Drive of my computer and then burn them to a CD-R disc?.
One way to do this is to bypass the computer altogether. TASCAM makes a nice unit with a cassette recorder and a CD recorder that will allow dubbing directly in either direction. Then, if you really want, you can rip some of the tracks to your HDD. I have an ethernet HDD that I keep tunes, pictures and backups on.

Radar

[This message has been edited by Radar (edited 05-02-2006).]

There are 10 types of people. Those who know binary, and those who don't.
#132383 06/30/06 09:35 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Paul,
Do you have something like the Nero Burning ROM software? (It's often the bundled Windows software with a CD-Rewriter drive.)

The Nero package comes with an editor, which you can use to sample your tapes into a PCM WAV file via the line input of your audio card. You can also use it to edit out tape hiss between tracks, apply any other filtering, etc.
Which version do I need?.
I have Version 6.0.2.4.
I haven't really looked a great deal into Nero apart from burning WMA files and ripping CD's to my computer HDD.
Is there something extra I should know?
If it is going to be too long Paul, e-mail me if you feel it appropriate.
Cheers,
Mike. [Linked Image]

#132384 07/01/06 05:46 AM
P
Which version do I need?.
I have Version 6.0.2.4.

V5.5.10.54 here. Just look for "Nero Wave Editor" and run it. Go to Audio -> Record and you can then set mono/stereo, sampling rate etc. before starting to record. You might have to go to Options -> Device settings first to select your sound card as the source.

#132385 07/01/06 07:45 AM
W
Audacity works with windows XP (have it on the laptop I am using now) Free, just download it.

#132386 07/06/06 05:01 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Just as a stupid question.
Is the Line-in on a computer Motherboard a stereo input?.

#132387 07/06/06 08:05 AM
P
Presumably you have a sound adapter built-in on your motherboard then?

Most of the newer sound cards/motherboards seem to have a stereo line input, although sometimes there's a separate mono input as well.

Do the old "finger hum" test. Insert a stereo plug into the jack without its cover, make sure your audio controls are set to patch the line input through to your computer speakers, then touch the tip and ring tags of the plug in turn to see if you hear a hum from the left and right speakers respectively.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard