ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#132143 03/28/05 03:46 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
With respect to Windows XP, I hear that Microsoft is due to release another Operating system.
Next year or so, so I have heard.
But, will this be a step up?, sideways or down?.
XP has it's faults, there's no secret about that, but will the new OS be any better?.
What would you like to see in the new version of Windows, apart from it not being Microsoft?.
Personally I'd like to see good on-board security, instead of having to download and install large Updates and Patches to fill the gaps that the original OS didn't have.
Your comments please?. [Linked Image]

#132144 03/28/05 03:15 PM
G
When will M$ release a smaller operating system? These things seem to want to be all things to all people so there are so many doors and windows into the guts that it becomes a security nightmare. If they would strip out about 99% of the bloat and make a lean and mean system for people who just want a safe browsing machine I would write Gates a check today.

Greg Fretwell
#132145 03/28/05 10:25 PM
Broom Pusher and
Ohhh, let me see if I can think of something that bugs me about Microshaft... I mean Microsoft [Linked Image]
What would I like to see in the next Winblows OS:
  • Definitely an OS which is not such a dang CPU and DRAM hog,
  • Less bloated,
  • Not so anchored to the past,
  • Quit being so afraid of some Home Office End-User having a copy of the same OS on a whole 3 Machines!! (give options to have upto 5 seat License for Home-Based LANs),
  • Charge a little less money for OS and/or Applications - like make it worth the money paid!.

I have more, but my keyboard may be worn out by then [Linked Image]

I like XP (have XP Pro). I liked Win 95 when it came out - quite a step forward from Win 3.xx.
95 OSR 2.5 made things even better... then came Win 98! eeegads, what a nightmare!
98 Second release worked much better.

Never dealt with Win ME.

Briefly dealt with Windows NT (3.5 and 4.0), along with Windows 2000 - these versions being on machines of Clients I had dealt with - etc. (have to include PC DOS, OS2 / OS2 Warp, and all that IBM stuff with the Clients' equipment too!).

I guess my main beef is obtaining a multi-seat licensed OS for my Home-Based LAN, and not spending a gazillion Dollars in the process!
Secondary beef would be multi-seat Licensed Office Package for same LAN, sans the $856,098,092.90 payment!

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#132146 03/29/05 06:42 PM
J
Oooh. Rant mode = on

64-bit support is coming, and not a minute too soon. And support for the NX bit, on processors that support it.

I would like to see at last a proper implementation of privelege control levels. It would make the whole thing so much safer. Most other OSes have implemented it properly since the mid 1960s, but Windows dares not to because it will cause a huge number of older programs to break, if they are no longer allowed to run in the Administrator context. They will never get rid of their security issues, unless they do this.

Publishing the source code would be good, but not likely. I like being able to inspect the source of Linux.

Finer-grained modularity. Windows has always been 'all or nothing' -- if I want (for example) FTP services, I don't want to have to install a web server and LDAP rubbish too. It is risky and there is no technical justification for it.

Proper IPv6 support.

Proper firewall.

Get rid of the pretend microkernel.

Built-in C compiler.

A means of control over the scheduler, like 'nice' on UNIX etc.

I would like an end to this .NET rubbish; the continual retraining (DDE > OLE > OLE2 > COM > COM+ > DCOM > .NET architechtures, with the Int21h > Win > Win32s > Win32 >>> APIs, and all the dreadful class libraries -- MFC anybody??) put me off programming for Windows some years back.

Built-in support for testing automation.

A proper "industrial strength" text editor (something as powerful as emacs or vi)

Decent and lightweight scripting languages such as Perl or Python.

A proper shell in which one can do scripts fully functionally equivalent to the GUI.

Get rid of that fscking registry.

There is a theory that all good OSes eventually end up reinventing UNIX :-)

Those would be the things that brought me back to putting Windows on my CV for development contracts.

Nice to have:

A bigger selection of installable file systems.

A TP monitor and a built-in relational database would be cool.

Java support (I'm evil, I know :-) )

Better connectivity tools -- 3270 terminal program, an ssh client and server, a non-broken Telnet server, rcp support, X11 server and so on. At present I need to install Cygwin on all our servers to make them usable.

Most of all, "play nice" with other vendors, instead of deliberately putting obstacles in peoples' way all the time.

I don't ask much, do I :-)

#132147 04/02/05 04:15 AM
B
Just an end to FUD (fear, uncertainty, doubt) In other words, change the entire development and marketing structure.

#132148 04/04/05 08:35 PM
H
One word- PRIVACY.

Is there any reason the OS needs to keep records of EVERYTHING we do, every website we visit, every email in secret ultra hidden files (that even running DOS doesn't always uncover), in the registry and in other files not hidden at all?

Not to sound paranoid but is this a secret agreement Microsoft had with the FBI/CIA that would allow them to get information from a suspects computer?

While we are on the subject how about a delete that actually deletes a file by overwriting it with random data a few times.

-Hal

#132149 05/01/05 03:20 AM
G
What the world needs, is a proper OS. Lets face it, Linux isn't exactly user friendly, but Windows is too user friendly. If windows wasn't always so open, it wouldn't be so vulnerable to attack.

Anyway, there is a new Microsoft OS coming, I believe it is called longhorn. Don't know much about it unfortunately. There has been a few beta's leaked, and some friends have used it, but remain unimpressed.

#132150 05/01/05 05:58 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Hal hits a good, if not unfounded tangent in his post above.
Is there any reason the OS needs to keep records of EVERYTHING we do, every website we visit, every email in secret ultra hidden files (that even running DOS doesn't always uncover), in the registry and in other files not hidden at all?
If Microsoft actually stopped all the worrying about it's own OS, with respect to all the faults that can (and do) happen with it's OS, it would be a good system.
Take for instance, Internet Explorer, why is it that 50 Million downloads have taken place of the Firefox Browser, I would guess that these users were'nt downloading it for the sheer fun of it. [Linked Image]
A lot of people that I've spoken to all have the same story, Microsoft is good, until you have a problem with it and then they don't want to know you.
Oh and by the way, my next PC is going to be Linux based.

#132151 05/02/05 11:58 PM
T
how about the new os being a true mutliuser system supporting multiple logons simultaneously? Dump NetBEUI/NetBIOS.. useless protocols..

#132152 05/19/05 11:04 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Oddly enough I read that the new M$ OS will have a new Black-box system built into it so that all keystrokes and websites visited and exactly what your computer was doing before it "failed" will be recorded and sent to M$ so thet:
We can all work together better
That was from Bill Gates himself.
Btw, I reckon the name Longhorn is a stupid name for a computer Operating System.
Might be OK for Herd testing, but for an OS?
I can see the comments already, it's called that because it's full of Bull-***t

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 05-19-2005).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard