ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Scott35 Offline OP
Broom Pusher and
Originally Posted in the "V-D-V" Forum, also cross-posted here and in the "Electrical Theory and Applications" Forum

X-Posted text:

Hello everyone,

I have been away for some time - work and all that, but now I'm Baaaaack!!!
(think "Arnold" when reading the above italicized text!)

Had another Fixed Disk Drive gone Loco situation, which brought down the Machine I used (at the time) for ...ohh I love not using anymore ... Dial-Up Access, so coupled with loads O' work and the H.D.D. gone bad, I was stuck in "Real-Mode Land" and did not venture to "Virtual Land".
(please see the humor there... [Linked Image]...)

Well, things are much better! - like 1000³ better!

Got a brand-spankin' new Dell pizza box - with a 2.8 GHz Pentium 4 CPU (computer only - no peripherials), connected it to existing equipment and LAN (after resolving a few driver issues + some minor tweaks), now have big smile on face!!!
Plans for May include purchase of an additional new Gateway System - complete package minus printer.

The best thing of all with this whole situation ... Finally have an ADSL connection!!! ... Yee-Haw [Linked Image]

Piped the ADSL Gateway into the Ethernet Switch, configured each Work Station for Internet access via LAN - and WHOOO-YAHHH it's cool!

I vow to never return to an Analog POTS pipe, for normal use, ever again!!!

OK, that's all for this "PSA" (Public Service Announcement).

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
Yay!!,
It's Scott35!.
Great to have ya back mate. [Linked Image]

Scott35 Offline OP
Broom Pusher and
Mike;

Thanks for the reply!!!

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
B
Way to go on the new goods, Scott! By 'pizza box' are you saying you've gone to a laptop? I got a Dell laptop after using a Compaq one and to tell you the truth, the non-integrated peripherals irritated the heck out of me. I went back to my Compaq and sent the Dell, which is considerably lighter, out to the field with the data pre-loaded for a look-up database for our project. Even though the Compaq feels like a brick and a half, I still like having the disk peripheral integrated into the body of the laptop.

(By the way - HI everyone!!)

Scott35 Offline OP
Broom Pusher and
Hi 'Bren, nice to see ya again!

Sorry for the ambiguous "Pizza Box" term without an explaination
[Linked Image]

"Pizza Box" is a kind of antiquated slang term for a Desktop Computer with a thin Case.
The ones which are physically ½ the size of a "Standard" Desktop Machine's Case.
Definitely not mistaken for any "Tower" Case model - "Mini" to "Full" / "Server" Case size.
Also, looks almost like a Pizza Box! (use of imagination for this will help!).

All the "Pizza Boxes" I have owned had "Bus Risers" for expansion bus use, rather than individual expansion bus slots mounted directly on the M. Board.

Anyhow, thanks for the message!!! [Linked Image]

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
G
I have one in my car as a MP3 player. It was sold as a "LAN <something>". I sprayed it black and the badge had to go.
It is a baby AT board, short flat power supply and a 3 card riser, two on one side, one on the other. It is about 2 - 2.5" high.
This one has a P166 in it.

Greg Fretwell
Hey Scott,
The best thing of all with this whole situation ... Finally have an ADSL connection!!! ... Yee-Haw
Having just become one of the people to have an ADSL connection, I must say I agree!. [Linked Image]
This thing is so fast now, it takes me no time to do things that used to take ages before hand.
And I must also subscribe to this statement too:
I vow to never return to an Analog POTS pipe, for normal use, ever again!!!
Yup, there's no going back now!. [Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard