ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 393 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#131982 01/03/05 01:51 PM
M
mkoloj Offline OP
I have a customer that is asking me about installing in ceiling speakers that are connected to his Pc in his home office, is there a sound card that he will need to use this type of 8 ohm speaker or will the signal need an external amp??

#131983 01/07/05 06:37 PM
E
Some PCs have built-in amps that can drive regular 8 ohm stereo speakers with a fair amount of power. I just upgraded (more like replaced) a friend's E-machine PC that had this - no external amp or amplified speaker needed for loud music volume. I think the only other model I encountered like this was a Compaq.

Generally that is not the case, and you would need (or want) an external amplifier to drive the speakers. It is best to get a sound card with at least two outputs: One for little pc speakers located at the PC, and an additional line-out to go to your amp. For a card with decent signal to noise ratio (and relatively low price), I'd recommend a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz for about $50 (at newegg.com - I like them and order stuff often).

For a low-end amp you may want to consider one of the surround sound setups that have a DVD player with built-in five channel amp and some satellite speakers. These range from $150 to as much as you want to pay. (Wal-mart, Best Buy, Etc) Just make sure the DVD player/amp has a set of auxillary inputs. Some also have AM/FM recievers built-in.

#131984 01/08/05 10:04 AM
M
mkoloj Offline OP
Thank you for the response, I dont think that the customers Existing pc is going to be able to drive these speakers as the speakers he has now are amplified, I did however find a product made specifically for this purpose so I am on my way.

#131985 02/01/05 10:16 PM
C
As a rule of thumb, on-board sound of modern PCs is line out, so needs an amplifier.

#131986 02/02/05 09:21 AM
M
mkoloj Offline OP
Yes that is what I found, an amp that accepts the line out of the sound card and drives the speakers, worked out great, nice sound compared to the speaks included with the PC.

Link Copied to Clipboard