ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 390 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#131927 10/10/04 04:14 PM
G
Gloria Offline OP
Dear All!
I've had some terrible days during the last week. We have an XP professional, a HP5500 printer and something is so wrong I couldn't install the printer for days.

I have started with the device plugged out and as the setup asks to plug it in to continue the setup, the Add hardware wizard of windows starts and stops the other setup program. Incredible, but you have three options to choose, and no matter which U choose the setup will "feel" the printer disconnected, and asks you if you wanna start the setup with disconnected device. I can tell I have tried this and that but the result was always the same, setup stopped after a half an hour and removed all that has been set up till that time.
My God, what could I do?

The world is full of beauty if the heart is full of love
#131928 10/10/04 10:42 PM
Gloria,
I'd start the set-up with everything plugged in.
Also, how is this printer connected to the computer?.
Another thing that springs to mind, is the Driver compatible with Windas XP?.
According to the Manual for this printer, the PCL6 driver is not made to work with XP, but the other PC5c and PS drivers are.
You could try this site for help.
Hope this helps.

#131929 10/11/04 08:33 AM
G
Gloria Offline OP
Thank you, dear, I check the cable too. [Linked Image]
There must be two problems, one is I have a Virus no matter Norton AV 2004 is running day/night, second is my printer doesn't love me.
I had installed it once and then I forced the colour cartridge into the black cartridge hole, I guess he is mad at me since then.
How could I ask him not to hate me so much?
BTW I asked a service man, tomorrow I'll be cleverer.

So far I have found.... one bad file. Hope no more is on my comp...

#131930 10/11/04 05:32 PM
Broom Pusher and
Gloria,

Did you try closing the "Add New Hardware" Window (Wizard) when it first appears, then continuing with the HP Setup Utility?

Also, the HP Utility should have an Uninstall Application, which is used to remove prior Install attempts which have gone bad. Those prior attempts may be one of the Bad Files you mentioned.

From the way you describe attaching the Cable after the Computer is on and Windows jumps into the scene, sounds like this is connected via USB ("Hot Connection").
Have dealt with a few situations where an HP Install Utility did not work well with a USB Connected Device - but this was back in 1999 - 2000... maybe the problem still exists?
[Linked Image]

Could you try connecting it via an IEEE 1284 Cable and an ECP Parallel Port?

Lastly, is the USB Port active and recognized (sp?) by the System's BIOS?

Scott 35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#131931 10/12/04 12:58 AM
B
I've got to grouse a little. HP used to have the best printers by quite a margin. In the last couple of years, the hardware has be OK but the drivers stink. It makes you wonder when you can't install 2 printers from the same company because they require and install different versions of the same files. My next printer will likely be from someone else.

#131932 10/12/04 07:46 AM
G
Gloria Offline OP
I could install a Lexmark printer.

I go and show it to HP!

(the price is the fifth of the HP 5510 all in one.)

Can I say something very dirty? Please???

BTW
What difference -in your opinion- would changing the cable make?

[This message has been edited by Gloria (edited 10-12-2004).]

#131933 10/12/04 08:38 PM
Broom Pusher and
Gloria;

What difference -in your opinion- would changing the cable make?

Just wondering if the Install Application works with a Parallel Port connected Peripheral (OS finds new device at restart, not a "Hot Connect" scenario).

I had success with trying an ECP / EPP Connection, after numerous, highly reluctant to cooperate USB Installs were tried, with no successful Install each time.
After calling the Software / Hardware dirty names + Threatening the items (joke, but you know where I am going with this), tried the Parallel Port connection and acheived success!

With that said, it brings up another item:

Can I say something very dirty? Please???

You can "Hint" towards something "semi-dirty"
(eg.: "Peripheral is a Pain In The ...'synonymous with Mule or Donkey'..."),
or use an equal description of some word to convey its meaning
(eg. "Install Application has a severe Cranial versus Gluteus Maximus merging situation going on").

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#131934 10/12/04 11:17 PM
G
Gloria Offline OP
I guess this will be my HP-blog, hehe.

Yesterday I have found a hp online help name Jay (cool name, says Silent Bob) and he was asking me to try to troubleshoot, and told me about extracting some files from the cd, rename them and copy them to the windows folder. Now I know why I hate situations like "check the cable, maybe the dog bites it". LOL
I mean the problem is not solved but at least they proove me I'm not that stupid that I cannot install a HP printer LOL.

Next step, I don't know but I'll tell keep you up to date with my fight. OK?
[Linked Image]

#131935 10/15/04 07:47 AM
G
Gloria Offline OP
Dear HP!
Thank you for your assistance, it didn't work.
Avoiding the same problems in the future I have made a System setup (FORMAT C [Linked Image] and you should know that I'll kick my 5510 printer every night I leave the office from now on.

Best Regards,
Gloria

#131936 10/15/04 05:46 PM
D
I'd like to defend HP printers here. I have a LaserJet 1200 that's been a dream. I've had two Lexmarks & they both shot the paper through too fast and had bad problems with paper jams. The HP LaserJet's been one of those great printers that I don't have to do anything but feed paper to. It just works. It was refered to me by a friend who had similar experience with his.

Dave

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard