ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
P
pauluk Offline OP
Received this one in my e-mail the other day. Do you think that the scammer behind this reckons I might be more easily fooled if he pretends to be from my own country?

Return-Path: apache@gpmail.globalpinoy.com>
Received: from gpmail.globalpinoy.com (202.124.128.11) by mk-cpfrontend.uk.tiscali.com (7.0.024.3-1)
id 410F2402003D5EB6 for paulcoxwell@tiscali.co.uk; Thu, 5 Aug 2004 00:59:29 +0100
Received: (from apache@localhost)
by gpmail.globalpinoy.com (8.11.2/8.11.2) id i74NqXS01821;
Thu, 5 Aug 2004 07:52:33 +0800
Message-Id: <200408042352.i74NqXS01821@gpmail.globalpinoy.com>
Content-Disposition: inline
Content-Transfer-Encoding: binary
Content-Type: text/plain
MIME-Version: 1.0
X-Mailer: MIME::Lite 2.117 (F2.6; T1.002; A1.47; B2.12; Q2.03)
To: pfrost@globalpinoy.com
Subject: FROM PHIL FROST
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 07:52:33 +0800
X-Mailer: GP WebMail - EAV

FIRST MERIT BANK
LONDON.

Dear Partner

PRIVATE AND URGENT.

I am Mr Phil frost, and I am contacting you on business transfer of a huge sum of money from a deceased account. Though I know that a transaction of this magnitude will make anyone apprehensive and worried, but I am assuring you that all will be well
at the end of the day. I decided to contact you due to the urgency of this transaction.

PROPOSITION;
I am the account officer to Mr Abdullah Saleh (deceased)one of our foreign customers. While he banked with us, I oversaw his accounts and other official/financial obligations as my office demanded being his accounts officer. Unfortunately, he died along with his entire
family in the plane crash of 31 October, 1999 on board the Egyptian Airline 990 alonside other passengers.
Please consult the British Broadcasting Corporation website below for verification.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/502503.stm

While he was alive, none of his family members was ever known to me other than his immediate nuclear family.Since his death, none of his next-of-kin or relations has come forward to lay claims to this money
as the heir. I cannot release the fund from his account unless someone applies for claim as the next-of-kin to the deceased as indicated in our banking guidelines.
Having made a very fanatic and exhaustive search for any family member that would lay claim to this fund, I decided to take my chance with you.I now seek your permission to have you stand as next of kin to the
deceased as I have all documentations including his certified Death Certificate that will facilitate your stand as next of kin to him as he had a closing balanced of 5,500,000.00lbs(pounds sterling) here in
our bank in London. I also have secured from the probate an order of mandamus to locate any member of deceased family to become beneficiary of this fund.
Please acknowledge receipt of this message in
acceptance of our mutual business endeavour by furnishing me with the following;

1. Full name and address
2. Direct Telephone and fax numbers

These requirements will enable me make some internal re-adjustments and file your name in form and other vital forms as next of kin which before now was left blank by the deceased upon opening of the account six years ago. Upon your reply, I will advice the way forward. I must assure you that if you are serious and follow my lead religiously, then this funds will be
released to you within a seven-working-day period.
If this proposal is acceptable by you, do not take undue advantage of the trust I have bestowed in you, I await your urgent mail.
Please reply

Regards,
Mr. Phil Frost

Please reply to my private email address
philfrost@moldova.cc

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
XOOM.COM: Mabilis na, sigurado pa, at ligtas ang pinaghirapan ninyo.
Send money home through www.xoom.com! It's Fast, Safe, and Easy.

Notice there's no mention of Lagos or any other African place this time, just a foreign account-holder.

Well, as Mr. Frost (or whatever his real name is) has gone to all this trouble of trying to convince me he works at a bank in London, I figured I'd spare a few minutes of my time to analyze his message. Fair's fair, right? [Linked Image]

Let's have a look at those headers first. I wonder where this global-pinoy place is:
Registrant:
Data Solutions Inc. (GLOBALPINOY-DOM)
29 Buencamino St.
Las Pinas MM
PH

Domain Name: GLOBALPINOY.COM

Administrative Contact:
Narcelles, Reynaldo (RN2531) rsn@DNS.GLOBALINK.COM.PH
Data Solutions Inc.
29 Buencamino Street
Las Pinas, MM n/a
PHL
(632) 807-4432 fax: (632) 807-4434

Technical Contact:
Cervantes, Clemente Jose (CJC122) cjc@CYBEES.COM
CyberNet Solutions Inc
29 Buencamino St.
Las Pinas
PH
(632) 807-4433 fax: (632) 807-4434

The Philippines?! Kinda strange, don't ya think? Still I guess it explains the tail end of the message. That doesn't look exactly like Spanish to me, so I'm guessing it's Philippines dialect. It also explains why his mailer puts him in a time-zone 8 hours ahead of me!

Ah, but he has a private e-mail address:
Please reply to my private email address philfrost@moldova.cc
Yes, I had to look that .cc up. It the top-level domain for the Cocos or Keeling Islands! The domain is registered, no surprise, to somebody in Moldova:
Checking server [whois.www.tv]
Results:
moldova.cc

Registrant:
Edward Mushuk (edward@megadat.com)
MEGA-DAT S.R.L.
73 Stefan cel Mare bd.
Chisinau, MD MD2001
MD
+ 3732 541375

Administrative, Technical, Billing Contact:
Edward Mushuk (edward@megadat.com)
MEGA-DAT S.R.L.
73 Stefan cel Mare bd.
Chisinau, MD MD2001
MD
+ 3732 541375

Well, Mr. Frost, I guess you get around a little. It's possible you use an ISP in the Philippines and another in the Cocos Islands right? I mean, it's not beyond the bounds of remote possibility, is it? [Linked Image]

Let's look at his actual message then. The language is certainly better than some, but there are still some uses which suggest that English might not be his first language.

Ah, but he's so thoughtfully provided "evidence" for me:
Please consult the British Broadcasting Corporation website below for verification.

Well, Mr. "Frost," that convinces me that you are able to search the web and find a BBC news story about a plane crash. Sorry if I sound like a detective, but that doesn't really convince me that you knew the gentleman in question! I guess I'm just hard to please......

as he had a closing balanced of 5,500,000.00lbs(pounds sterling) here in
our bank in London.
Aw, come on now..... You've never even been anywhere near England have you? Do you really think I can take you seriously when you make such an elementary blunder as using "lbs." for pounds sterling?

Anybody who has ever set foot in the country, nevermind worked in a bank, would tell you it's £5,500,000 not 5,500,500 lbs. Still, if you really want to send me more than 2000 tons of used notes and coins, who am I to refuse? Just so long as you pay the shipping charge! [Linked Image]

So what do y'all reckon? Should I take up the offer? [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

T
twh Offline
Thanks for the "heads-up". I'm going to get in touch with him and cut you out of this great opportunity.

Can you lend me some money to see me through this? I'll pay you as soon as I get paid.

K
nice. Excellent detective skills. You would think if you were gonna try to scam someone like this you would at least cover your tracks a little better. Unless, that is, you are a NSA agent or something...

"If it doesnt fit, force it. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyway."

Link Copied to Clipboard