ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#131893 07/31/04 01:22 PM
G
Gloria Offline OP
Hello all you nice people! It seems I'm going to do VoIP business, please help me, how does it look like in the USA, cause Hungary is not yet comfortable in this topic.
Also if you can write me links of VoIP comanies or websites I would be so happy.
Thank you.

The world is full of beauty if the heart is full of love
#131894 07/31/04 07:38 PM
P
Hi Gloria,

One of the most popular VoIP companies at the moment seems to be Vonage:
www.vonage.com

There's been a lot of discussion about VoIP recently in a telecoms group I receive by e-mail. All the mailings are archived so you can search and browse, or you can subscrive to the list:
www.telecom-digest.org

Opinion on VoIp service seems to be rather divided: Some seem to think it's great, others are rather dubious.

I've not yet tried it myself. Out in this part of rural England we're only due to get broadband service in September.

#131895 08/01/04 11:52 AM
G
Gloria Offline OP
Thank you very much. You see Hungary in this business has better conditions than other "richer" countries for here internet on telephone line has never really been a good, profitable thing for telephone was always expensive so we don't use it very much. Internet users mostly changed for ADSL after a half year or so, because dial up is a headache waiting for the downloads and counting the forints all the time and then at the end of the month shaking of thinking of the phone bill.
So we have broadband here, (but here only about 2 000 000 people has internet at home, that is still only the 1/5 of the people (which I don't really believe...I think it is less.))

My idea is I have worked with a guy who knew all applications, he used an iPod also for telephone. If this little machine was able to serve all his requests why not use this also on line, together with wi-fi systems, or anything to connect to internet and be able to choose between mobile communication companies or VoIP companies, when maybe you want to see the other's picture, or send files during the communication.
The problem is I don't really understand Wi-fi, and I don't know how to be on line in a car, but I don't think that can be a problem in the future.

[This message has been edited by Gloria (edited 08-01-2004).]

#131896 08/01/04 11:53 PM
Broom Pusher and
In Southern California, SBC hosts Voice Over IP.
They hold responsibility for the equipment (typically set on back boards in the NER ((Network Equipment Room)), with a 25 pair run to the PET at the MPOE... nice assult O' Acronyms, isn't this???... [Linked Image]...).

More Commercial Clients are using VoIP, and the last two T.I. projects we have done used VoIP - as opposed to other services.

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#131897 09/18/04 10:36 PM
G
Gloria Offline OP
Well, it seems I respond to myself, but I have to share with you this lovely experience, We could talk and see each other thru MSN and ADSL perfectly. And for free.
It is a great experience.
Also dialer.exe works, but the quality is much worse both the picture and sound.

Now I'm wondering how to get a telephone center they use for adding internet and analog calls, I know you have it in the USA in any shops, but I cannot buy it here. If you know this technology and please help me find an equipment, and give me the site or product number, I could ask it here in the shops.
Thank you.

[This message has been edited by Gloria (edited 09-19-2004).]

Link Copied to Clipboard