ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#131876 09/19/04 03:58 AM
J
In fact, apart from simply deleting the files they ought also to use a tool such as WipeInfo (part of the Norton Utilities) to ensure the data is no longer accessible by the use of third-party "undelete" or other data recovery utilities.

I believe a good platform-neutral way to achieve the same effect, after removing the files, is to write a little script that creates a single file that fills the entire volume, and containing repeatedly the character 7, and then again containing repeatedly the character ¬

The bit patterns for these chars are 0101 0101 and then 1010 1010. So, every bit on the disk surface will be cycled at least once, rendering the original data unreadable by any but proper forensic techniques.

#131877 09/20/04 01:46 AM
P
pauluk Offline OP
What is a Dongle?.
Sorry, I missed seeing this question earlier.

A dongle was used as a kind of security device against the use of pirated software. It was just a small hardware device connected to a specific port on the machine, and the program it was supplied with would check for its presence before it would run.

One of them had a file that he sent to the other, titled "Osama Bin.exe" .
About half an hour after the file transfer took place the Security Intellegence service had him lying on the footpath outside his parents house, along with the Armed Offenders Squad.
Uh-oh, maybe I should be glad I'm not in NZ then. I just recently downloaded a few humorous MP3 files with titles including "Taliban" and "Bin Laden." [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

#131878 09/20/04 01:50 AM
P
pauluk Offline OP
In fact, apart from simply deleting the files they ought also to use a tool such as WipeInfo (part of the Norton Utilities)
Welcome to ECN Jooles.

Many people don't realize that deleting a file on most systems doesn't actually erase its contents. The Norton wipe utility is one I've used for years -- Very useful when getting rid of surplus disk drives and you want to be sure nobody will go snooping around for your old data.

#131879 09/20/04 06:38 PM
J
Dank U wel / Merci beaucoup.

I am fascinated by a great number of the threads on the other boards here, and I am pleased to have been taught so well by all of you.

I hope is that I can help on the computer and internet board a little, and, like you, I am fond of old valve sets, and I have a general liking of electrical apparatus. I shall try to not be in your way, however!

Tot ziens / Au revoir / Ciao / Later, dude!

#131880 09/21/04 03:45 AM
P
pauluk Offline OP
Jooles,
I only just noticed that you're in Belgium.

Bienvenue, je crois que vous êtes le deuxième membre du ECN en Belgique. [Linked Image]

Great to find so many people with an interest in older equipment. Feel free to look back through the older threads and add to them if you wish.

#131881 09/21/04 07:16 PM
J
Ja, ik zag de andere Belg.

Maar niet voor een tidje.

We are still over here; we're still doing it all wrong; driving the wrong side and using round pin plugs with no fuses in our bathrooms and eating all the witloof :-)

One question and this is the wrong forum, but I can't say which the right one is.

In my factory, there is a fuse for the earth connection in each building. In each significant one, there is a transformeur 15000V -> 400/230. It uses a system TN-NET and there is an earth fuse outside each building that has a supply like it. So, why is the fuse there, and I wonder what happens if it goes?

#131882 09/22/04 04:28 AM
P
pauluk Offline OP
A fuse in an earth connection? [Linked Image] I don't like the sound of that.

I've cross-posted your question in the more appropriate non-U.S. forum. Just follow this link:
https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum9/HTML/000692.html

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard