ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 531 guests, and 30 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#131829 10/10/04 04:21 PM
G
Mike, one more thing about the advances of broadband transmission: Thru MSN you can chat live, using a headset (you can speak and hear the other!!!) and a cam, no matter where on Earth your friend is, FREE.

The world is full of beauty if the heart is full of love
#131830 10/10/04 06:10 PM
P
Looks like I missed this one first time around.....

Bjarney, it takes 8 bits to make one
byte
But remember that when we're dealing with asynchronous data transmission you need to add a start bit and a stop bit, so the maximum theoretical throughput in bytes/sec is not bits/sec divided by 8 but actually bits/sec divided by 10.

ADSL has actually just been enabled in my local exchange a couple of weeks ago and I have just received my first request to install the appropriate wiring at a nearby house.

But I have to buy an external Modem plus filters for my 2 telephones
I wouldn't bother to go the separate filter route if you can avoid it. Better to install a filter/splitter at the network interface and then run the voice and ADSL on separate pairs around the house.

#131831 10/11/04 06:04 AM
J
Is that way popular in the UK? I think it is quite an expensive way, no?

In Belgium, plug-in line filters are the most popular, because the subscriber can easily install them without getting Belgacom in to rewire everything. A typical do-it-yourself installation takes about three days from going into the Belgacom teleboutique to pick up your line filters and sign the forms and then logging in.

The monthly cost is about EUR 30 for a 3Mbits/s service. I've been using it since about 4 years ago now, and could not bear to go back to dialup.

I am wondering about setting up a wireless network now, but at present the Alcatel Speedtouch modem feeds a NAT router/firewall (old Linux PC with a pair of NICs, one to the Speedtouch and one facing the internal 100Mbits LAN). Has worked without a hitch so far.

#131832 10/12/04 01:07 AM
B
Most Do-it-yourselfers in the US go with multiple filters. I put mine just inside the demark. Incomming line goes straight to the DSL filter, one jack comes off the top to the DSL modem and the output heads over to the punchdown blocks for the phone. My modem and ethernet switch are both located adjacent to the backboard where all the comm wiring from the house terminates.
Here, the customer is responsible for all the premisis wiring past the demark. I just ran Cat. 5 for phone and network. It was easier to buy 1 big box.

[This message has been edited by Big Jim (edited 10-12-2004).]

#131833 10/12/04 06:40 AM
P
Is that way popular in the UK? I think it is quite an expensive way, no?
As ADSL has only just arrived in my area, I wouldn't like to guess how many people will go this route. I don't doubt that individual plug-in filters will probably be more popular (at least to begin with) among the less technically minded.

In the case I mentioned above, the line enters the front of the house and the computer is at the back. At the moment the guy is using rather tatty extension cords run around the edges of carpets etc. to get the phone line back there, so it needs replacing anyway. He decided he'd rather have it done with a single splitter/filter at the demarc. I can certainly see this as a better way for anyone with multiple telephones all around the house.

As Jim mentioned for the U.S., the premises wiring is the homeowener's responsibility here these days as well. Our standard modern network interface is the NTE5:

[Linked Image from austin-taylor.co.uk]

Click here for more details

The removable panel at the bottom is where the subscriber terminates his own extension wiring.

We can get an ADSL filter which takes the place of that lower connection panel and provides a standard BT phone jack (filtered) and an RJ45-type for ADSL.

Click here for an example.

Curiously, the genuine BT replacement only provides an unfiltered feed on the front jack itself, with just filtered terminals for voice available for connection to extension wiring. Revised versions are available which also provide unfiltered terminals for running ADSL extensions. (Of course, with the genuine BT replacement you could still tap the incoming line terminals inside the demarc to run unfiltered extensions, although officially this is verboten!)

I'll just be running CAT5 cable from the demarc to the rear of the house, where a 2-gang voice/ADSL jack will be installed. White/blue pair will be filtered voice line, orange/white will have one line in use for the bell feed (as is standard on regular phone wiring here), then I'll put the unfiltered line on the white/green pair to the RJ45.

I'm actually going out later today to do the install, although his ADSL service isn't due to be turned on until the end of the week.

It's supposed to be a 1Mbit/sec connection, but at 5 miles as the wire runs from the C.O. via some rather dodgy cabinet splices we'll just have to wait and see...... [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 10-12-2004).]

#131834 10/12/04 07:28 AM
G
You can avoid running cables under the carpet by using wifi in the house.

#131835 10/12/04 07:32 AM
G
Does someone know how can telephone, cable TV and internet work together wireless?

UPC has started its telephone beside TV and interned via cable, and I'd like to know what's next before I buy a new TV.

What the tv has to know to recognize the wireless?

What telephone does recognize this wi-fi line?

#131836 10/12/04 11:19 PM
G
Now I have new problems. I have a US Robotics wifi and it asks me to change my IP. My friend says you have to go inside (I brought the screwdriver, he said no, inside the software)...
Where is that inside?

#131837 10/13/04 06:25 AM
P
Gloria,
If you are using Internet Explorer, it's well hidden beneath multiple layers of menus.

Take a deep breath......

Tools -> Internet options -> Connections -> {select your connection} -> Settings -> Properties -> Server type -> TCP/IP settings.

That's on IE5. It may have moved on later versions!

#131838 10/16/04 12:48 PM
G
Thank you Paul, now I know the problem, the last user of the wifi changed something inside, I guess the IP.. Now it's in the service, so I guess if next time something doesn't install by itself, I go first to the shop where I bought it. LOL!
Must I have all these things around me? Do I really need these??? ;~)

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard