ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#131776 04/03/04 06:57 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Not sure if this topic has been posted here or not?.
But I am due to run out of AV protection in a few weeks and I was wondering what route I should take in getting more (better) protection for my money.
There are plenty of Brands around, but do you really get what you pay for?.
I use Nortons AV + Symantec Live Update, but is there a better system?.
Please let us know!. [Linked Image]

#131777 04/03/04 02:07 PM
E
Upgrading to Norton Systemworks brings in a suite of additional utility.

I have been extremely pleased with Symantec.

Al Hildenbrand
#131778 04/03/04 11:33 PM
N
I dumped Symantec a while back because it is such a resource hog. Most of the utilities are in the standard windows software as well. I am using Avg for virus protection. It's free for a single unit license.

#131779 04/05/04 03:38 AM
B
Norton has been a dependable friend for years. I usually renew my subscription for about 3 years and then buy the latest version which includes a free year. One advantage to buying one of the Big Two is the speed and completeness of the definitions updates. I have a DSL line and can pretty much ignore the virus software most of the time. It updates itself and looks at everything comming in.

#131780 04/05/04 01:44 PM
R
If you are looking for something free, check out www.free-AV.com. Out IT guy said this is a good free one.

Rick

#131781 04/30/04 11:57 AM
E
Norton AV is one of the best. But, a good free one can be found at http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php

This was recommended on TechTV - The screen savers.

#131782 05/01/04 06:43 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Hey Rick,
I downloaded the Software for the AV Protection and I have had no problems since,
Thanks a heap mate!. [Linked Image]

#131783 05/06/04 02:11 AM
G
Hello you nice people! I know this two: www.avast.com and www.pandasoftware.com this two both are online, hor how to say keeps watching the internet pages and e-mailes, don't forget to choose not the typical, cause sometimes the e-mail control is not checked! Anyway it doesn't matter which av U use, the main thing is to update it and watch pages like http://www.f-secure.com/virus-info/virus-news/ if you hear something in the news.

[This message has been edited by Gloria (edited 05-06-2004).]

The world is full of beauty if the heart is full of love
#131784 05/07/04 01:28 AM
G
Hey, good morning y'all nice people! I got a mail yesterday, the subject was (Spam) re: document, the mail was
+++ No virus found
+++ Pandasoft AntiVirus
The attachment:
document.zip.
I know, I know, but this is pretty nice that they had wrote this little line that it is no virus. Anyway, I opened it and a prompt came up saying virus in the attachment. Avast works fine. The sender does not exist.

The world is full of beauty if the heart is full of love
#131785 05/13/04 12:01 PM
C
There is a category of software pests that, in my opinion, are worse than viruses. Known variously as adware, spyware, or malware (some would argue a difference between them), these are generally professionally written by a software development company specifically to burrow into your computer and send information about you back to the distributor of the spyware.

They are often harder to get rid of than a virus. Some have several pieces, the components are deceptively named, they self-repair if you delete just a part of them, and often will change their own file or registry entry characteristics, all in an attempt to prevent removal.

They are imbedded in freeware and shareware programs, which is the main way they are promulgated.

They will interfere with performance by using your network connection without your knowledge, preventing other programs from using the Internet at those times.

Most of these programs are perfectly legal, believe it or not.

If you browse the Internet, you probably have some of this stuff right now. You can download free programs like AdAware or SpyBot to see. Be sure to update them, just like virus software, every time you run them.

-- Len
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard