ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#131581 09/27/03 09:16 PM
S
My computer is kind of acting crazy. I suspect there is something wrong with my mouse, but when I tried to change mouses, my computer didn't recognize them. One was an optical mouse, but the other one was off of my wife's computer. Neither one will work. The computer says it is not recognizing a mouse. Can anyone help me with this problem. It seems there is a hesitation, but when I tap the mouse, it finally does something. I may have asked this question before, so forgive me if I have, I've been pretty busy [Linked Image] and have been struggling with this mouse problem for quiet a while now. Does it have anything with uninstalling and reinstalling? I'm by no means a computer person. I know enough to get by, but not very much on troubleshooting. Thanks a lot for your input... Steve....

#131582 09/27/03 10:26 PM
B
Er, dumb question... Did you do the Vulcan Nerve Pinch {ctrl-alt-del in win OS} after swapping mice?

#131583 09/28/03 08:43 AM
P
Again, this may be an obvious point, but on the original mouse which is hesistating, have you opened it up and cleaned the ball?

A lot of sticking and erratic operation is due to a build up of dust, lint, etc.

#131584 09/28/03 11:07 PM
S
pauluk, I cleaned the mouse several times and that doesn't help. I'm wondering if there is a virus in my computer, but still don't understand why another mouse won't repsond. I have a son who knows about these things but too busy now to check it out. I guess I'll have to put up with it til he gets a chance. Thanks a lot for the input... Steve..

#131585 09/29/03 02:37 AM
Steve,
Just a small question, what type of mouse is it?
Which connector on the back of your computer, do you have it plugged into?
(I know it's 2 questions! [Linked Image])

#131586 09/29/03 06:35 PM
S
Trumpy, both mouses' are a Logitech brand. The one I am using is the regular "ball type". The one I am trying to hook up, is also a "Logitech" but it is a digital. I'm not sure of the technical names for the ports, but the one I am using now is plugged up in to the 7 pin rectangular port with an adapter for the round port on my mouse. There is a round port down lower that the mouse will fit into, but I tried that, and the computer still will not recognize it.
My son set it up for me around a year or so ago. Usually when something goes wrong I get him, but he's been too busy. I'm just trying my own shot at it, which isn't much.
Thanks again.. Steve..

#131587 09/29/03 10:34 PM
B
Very Long Shot -- A mistake I made with an Intel-based PC was to reverse the keyboard and mouse cables. Some use the same connector {with different pinouts.}

#131588 09/29/03 11:11 PM
J
Do you know how old the computer is? It sounds like your old mouse is connected to your com port (9 pin D shaped port) and you are using a ps/2 mouse, 6 pin round with an adapter. Most older mice will work with either port but the newer mice, especially optical mice, are designed to work with the ps/2 or usb port only.

#131589 09/29/03 11:33 PM
Broom Pusher and
Sounds like the PS/2 Mouse Port (Mini DIN, or the round connector) is not connected to the Motherboard (ribbon cable not connected), connected to an incorrect port type (like a MIDI port adapter on the Motherboard), or maybe disabled in the BIOS Setup utility.

Shooting trouble for the above mentioned items may require a Testosterone suppliment [Linked Image]
This might be better off done by your son if it ventures into the tweeking of the BIOS settings - unless you feel confident enough to do it yourself. Kind of difficult to do in non-real time and via text descriptions, so if you are successful in the mission, we can all give ourselves big pats on the back!

Checking to see if the PS/2 adapter is actually connected to the Motherboard is simple: just open the case up and see if the cable is just dangling there. Also make sure (if it is connected to the board) it's fully seated.
If all seems OK, look on the board for some type of description text at the connector, which would look something like this:

PS2KBMS
or;
COM X ("X" being a number)

Make note of the description, then post info here.

Good luck!

Scott 35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#131590 09/29/03 11:48 PM
Broom Pusher and
P.S.; A few more questions / scenarios:

What Operating System is on the affected computer? (Windows 95, 98, M.E., XP, etc.)

Have you been getting "Faults" (window that pops up, has a red "X" on the right side, and says "This Program Has Performed An Illegal Operation, And Shall Be Terminated")?

Have you seen the "Blue Screen Of Death"? (Blue screen with white text saying something like "An Exception Has Occured").

The erratic Mouse / Cursor movement is from a conflict between it and some other hardware, both wanting attention at the same time, plus both trying to "be at the same place at the same time".
If not an address / IRQ issue, then something is running in the background, tying up your resources. Could be any number of things - from a virus checker set to "Ultra Maximum turbo Steriod Mode", to a lost driver file, being searched for endlessly by the Operating System or a Program, to some screwy Virus.

If possible, try a "Safe Mode" boot, and see how the Mouse responds in "Basic Basic Pretty Looking Real mode Windows" [Linked Image].
The non-complete attempts to install the optical mouse may have left rampant setup routines running endlessly in the background.
Also Winders (Windows) may be freaked out from the "on again-lost again" state of the corded Mouse while trying to get the PS/2 port to work.

Many more questions are sure to come! [Linked Image]

Ain't Corn-Puterz fun?
(believe it or not, nerds like us live for this stuff!)

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard