ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 519 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#131537 09/27/03 01:50 AM
Broom Pusher and
On the topic of recording BIOS settings, with my older machines (386, 486, and... of course 286) you could send a print screen copy to the printer (accessing the CMOS setup at POST).
Award and/or Phoenix were the makers O' said BIOS software and CMOS EEPROMs (I think... [Linked Image]..).

BTW, the printers connected to LPT1 were Tractor-Feed Impact Printers - typically Epson MX-80.

Back in the days when I would service these machines (pre AL430 and AL440 chipsets), I would print out the current setups using my MX-80 on the "subject machine", then when all was good once again, print out the settings again (if altered).
Also would keep soft and hard copies of system configurations (Config.sys, Autoexec.bat, Win.sys, etc.).

Just wondering how many others did same.

I still have BIOS print outs archived! [Linked Image]

Thinking about playing around with the 386 machine sometime soon, just for the heck of it!

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#131538 09/27/03 08:03 PM
Ah yes,

I used to keep copies of all of those files too. I was always tweaking something to run the newer programs on the older machines it was a challenge trying to avoid those "out of memory" error messages. It was pretty tricky sometimes getting some things to run and I remember having to make special boot disks with customized Autoexec.bat and config.sys for some programs (OK, I mean Games.. [Linked Image] )

Bill

Bill
#131539 09/28/03 08:44 AM
P
It was pretty tricky sometimes getting some things to run
It still is, despite "Plug 'n' Play!" [Linked Image]

#131540 09/28/03 11:36 AM
R
Ryan_J Offline OP
Paul: I thought it was called "plug and PRAY"!!! [Linked Image]

BTW: I don't know what has changed on my machine, but my clock has been keeping accurate time for about three days now... ??

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
#131541 09/28/03 04:04 PM
P
I thought it was called "plug and PRAY"!!!
Yep, it sure is! [Linked Image]

I just spent nearly three hours re-installing Windows on a friend's machine and trying to get it to recognize the PCI-slot modem. There's still a problem with the drivers that I'll have to try and sort out tomorrow.

I guess I forgot to turn around and bow three times toward Seattle..... [Linked Image]

#131542 09/28/03 04:43 PM
R
Ryan_J Offline OP
Remember when Gates was introducing 95 to the world? He was installing some piece of hardware to show off plug and play, and it gave him the blue screen of death! [Linked Image] I don't think I've leaughed so hard in my life!

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
#131543 09/28/03 07:09 PM
Broom Pusher and
Bill;

It was
pretty tricky sometimes getting some things to run and I remember
having to make special boot disks with customized Autoexec.bat and
config.sys for some programs (OK, I mean Games.. )

Oh, ya, went through this alot to run some very important applications! [Linked Image] (OK, you all know what they were! Games with high graphics and audio!, but they were very important to me...).
Loved (actually hated!) to see the quickly flashed "Memory Overflow" messages when trying to cram a Gallon of stuff into a teacup of DOS memory allocation!

When DOS 6.0 came out, the need for bootdisk caching/smashing went away with the multiboot startup menu ability (SUBMENU in the Config.sys).
That made it SOOOOOO much cooler for booting to a DOS prompt and running those Important applications!
Epic Pinball is one of those important ones!

Ryan_J;

BTW: I don't know what has changed on my machine, but my clock
has been keeping accurate time for about three days now... ??
It's from posting the problem here! Now it will disappear for × amount of time, then return again, which means you will need to post the same question here again! [Linked Image]
<just joking>

Remember when Gates was introducing 95 to the world? He was
installing some piece of hardware to show off plug and play, and it
gave him the blue screen of death! I don't think I've leaughed so
hard in my life!

I remember that! Fell off the chair laughing (ROTF LMAO!!!).
If I remember, it was a demonstration of how easilly a Scanner could be setup in Windows 98 (first release), when along came the lovely blue screen and white text (probably an Exception OE).
It was funny because I had just serviced a machine with a bad Scanner installation and resultant BSOD!

BTW, "Plug-and-Pray"... LOL!

Paul;

I guess I forgot to turn around and bow three times toward Seattle.....

LOL!

Sometimes sacrificing Mac formatted floppy disks in a shredding machine will please the malign MS Gods! [Linked Image]

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#131544 10/15/03 07:10 PM
R
Ryan_J Offline OP
Grrr!

I just looked at my computer clock and it has lost an hour somehow in the last couple of days. I guess the problem didn't go away... [Linked Image]

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
#131545 10/15/03 11:10 PM
Maybe You have to slow down!

[Linked Image]
Bill

Bill
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard