ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#131496 09/11/03 03:00 PM
Trumpy Offline OP
I'm using a friends computer at the moment,
with a few bits out of mine.
My computer system case got knocked off the top of my desk yesterday and it sustained quite a bit of damage, as the cables that connect the peripherals took the wieght of the fall.
A child that was with a friend of my girlfriend, found his way into my office and somehow managed to cause this, I found the case on the floor when I got home last night.
The motherboard has a big split in it around the USB ports and the ports themselves are ripped to pieces, the monitor plug has lost it's fixing screws.
As you can imagine, I am not very happy at the moment, but I'm trying to see if I can fix the old system up and I was wondering if anyone could tell me where I can source a Twin Right/Angle PCB mount USB connector?
Your help would be most gratefully recieved,
Thanks,
Trumpy. [Linked Image]

#131497 09/11/03 03:48 PM
T
Maybe these folks would know?

South Island Component Centre Ltd
185 Antigua Street
Christchurch, New Zealand
Phone: +64 (0)3 379 8833
Fax: +64 (0)3 365-7137

Here's a bunch: http://www.yellowpages.co.nz/all-categories/industrial/electrical-electronic/electronic-components/

[This message has been edited by ThinkGood (edited 09-11-2003).]

#131498 09/11/03 04:05 PM
P
I bet you were none too happy to find that. [Linked Image]

You might try Jaycar Electronics . Use the category search on "Plugs & Sockets," sub-category "Computers." I can only see single USB sockets listed on their website, but you never know, they might have duplexes.

According to their Australian website, they have a store in Christchurh:

CHRISTCHURCH
409 Colombo Street
Cnr Wordsworth St
Ph. (03) 379 1662 Fax. 03 379 1663
Mon - Fri: 8:30 - 5:30, Sat: 9:00 - 5:30, Sun: 10:00 - 4:00
-- NZ -- South Island, New Zealand

Failing that, Mouser Electronics (Mansfield, Texas) carry a wide range, and overseas postage shouldn't be too much on small, light items:

Mouser, Search on USB Connectors

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 09-11-2003).]

#131499 09/12/03 05:50 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Yeah, thanks Guys,
Not sure how long it's going to take to re-work the tracks on this PC Board.
Gee's, I hope that this never happens again!.

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 09-12-2003).]

#131500 09/20/03 01:42 PM
Trumpy Offline OP
Just got back on line yesterday, after having ripped the m/board out of my old computer and proceeded to re-work all of the track work on the board.
V reckoned that I was wasting my time, but I am using the same m/board as what was broken at the time now, to talk to you guys!.
The USB ports are un-serviceable, but I have seen on the Net, an option that may work for me.
There is a plate that sits in the rear(or the front) of the CPU box and it connects to the m/board directly, via a pair of 4 pin headers, does anyone know if this is a viable option?.
As I have removed(de-soldered) the original USB sockets, because of the short-cicuit possibility.
Could someone please help me in this respect?, I would be most grateful!. [Linked Image]

#131501 09/20/03 06:21 PM
Broom Pusher and
Mike;

The USB option you are describing sounds like the best- if only - option for your particular dilemma!

If it's what I am thinking of, it would be a PCB mounted onto a riser, with the attachment Receptacles connected to a card slot fitting (like the knock-outs / removable plates on the back of an AT type case, where Bus Adapters {"Cards"} poke out the back end, so cables can be connected and the adapter is useful [Linked Image]...).
The adapter interfaces the M/Board via ribbon cable, and typical pin conenctor.

If the option for USB / Serial bus interface is not available, I do believe there's several flavors of USB / IEEE 1394 "Firewire" setups on Bus Adapters / cards - ISA and PCI (maybe more in the PCI flavors, but who knows???).

I have a few books on the topic (USB), so let me know if you need a reference from the manual.

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#131502 09/20/03 07:28 PM
Trumpy Offline OP
Thanks Scott!,
I was just wondering if I could actually use the 2 4pin connectors to hook up the USB adapter to.
I must admit, that I don't really know a whole lot about USB protocols and pin-outs, I understand that it uses a 5V system at currents of up to an Ampere?.
There is a burned out SMD device next to the USB socket, which I assume is a fuse, but the system works fine without it. [Linked Image]

#131503 09/21/03 03:56 AM
Broom Pusher and
Mike;

Here is the pinout for USB 4-pin Male Controller Interface:

Pin #1: (Vcc) +5 VDC,
Pin #2: (D-) Data - (- commbus),
Pin #3: (D+) Data + (+ commbus),
Pin #4: (GND) Ground

What make / model is your M/Board? (I might have documentation for it, or a similar board)

As to the Surface mounted device (SMD);

What color is the SMD (other than Barbecued black [Linked Image]...)

"Actual Black" is normally a Resistor, but may be a Capacitor or Inductor (depends on description text);

Blue is a common color for Resistors,

Tan is common for Capacitors (Tantalum)(...sp???),

MELF Zener Diodes will have a Black line designating the Cathode (K) end, or Blue Line for Mini MELF Zener Diodes.
The "Envelope" should be clear, like normal ones.
Other SMD Diodes (Signal, Rectifying, etc.) should be black with a colored line for the "K" identification.

The SMD fuses I have come across are typically Green (Lime Green typically), and are cylindrical axial type Animals.

You most likely know this already, and chances are you know the color code / designation text way more than I ever will!
If this is true, please disregard the color coding examples I posted here.

Again if you need a few help items from the books, let me know. (for the USB stuff)

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#131504 10/18/03 01:55 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Scott35,
Thanks Billions for all your help!. [Linked Image]
I've sourced a Slot card that will fit into the front of my PC case, I found it at http://www.globalpc.co.nz .
As to the type of mother-board I have, I really couldn't tell you, I do know however, that it is an Award something, the actual nomenclature, escapes me!.
I'll fit this Slot card and tell you how I got on, I just want to get the USB ports working again so that I can download all the pics from my Dcam, all 73 of them.
Oh, and what I was referring to with the black colour of that SMD component, was charring, it was about 1/16" square, will this blown component affect the use of the new slot card?. [Linked Image]

#131505 10/24/03 08:54 PM
Trumpy Offline OP
Scott,
I installed the slot card this morning, but I cannot get the computer to recognise the camera on the end of it.
Do you have to enable the USB input on the motherboard?, if so how is this done?.
Also the slot card came with a 8 or 10 pin connector on it, which was not polarised at all, is there a chance that I have it connected incorectly?.
Also, Scott, is there any way that I can see if the USB ports are working, without having another USB device to connect to it.
{Message edited to add last question} [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 10-24-2003).]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard