ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Hey Gloria - any problems with hardware or software (XP) firewalls?

There are 10 types of people. Those who know binary, and those who don't.
G
No, why?

Ohh, you mean is it insultedd, or how to say...

It runs on your PC just as any other program does. Downloads a pack of info, analyzes it, and sends the result back to the addresse. The connection is established only when the result should be sent back, maybe you can get an alert (Like I get from Panda AV) that a connection attempt is made, and you easily allow the connection (if your AV is able to do that).

(Edited cause I didn't understand, why I'm having problems with my firewall)

[This message has been edited by Gloria (edited 01-15-2005).]

The world is full of beauty if the heart is full of love
S
Well, I don't know about which colo(u)r scheme is my favorite but there was one that Window$ 3.1(?) had which was quite obnoxious- the "Hot Dog" scheme. We had one guy at work who must have loved it because whenever he used the PC (we had shared ones back then) that scheme showed up!

I've noticed in later releases of Window$ that it disappeared...!

No wire bias here- I'm standing on neutral ground.
C
It's the British/American thing, color vs colour.

Despite me uning the default XP Luna theme, i kina like a blue-green border, with either a salmon or cyan text background, with the menus using a font called Dragon, and Letter Gothic for the message windows.

P
It's the British/American thing, color vs colour.

Color is actually closer to the Latin origin coloris. Colour came to us by way of the French couleur, although of course they got their version from Latin as well!

Anyway.... [Linked Image]

Mention was made of the high-contrast schemes. I like the ones which have a black background and lighter text. Put it down to my formative years of staring at green text on a VDU if you like.

The only problem with those defaults is the software which assumes you have dark characters on a light background (what we always used to know as reverse or inverse video) and then tries to display black text on your black background. [Linked Image]

T
Here! Here! pauluk..
I am also a fan of inverse and dark, dark color schemes for the same resons you mention... I am part of the "greenscreen" generation too. I also find ot quite sad that web designers etc. start from the basic assumption that users have dark text on a light background.

T
It's also sad that for all their "smarts" and high pay many web designers can't quite seem to set a default bg color to their webages.. with the effect that one browser renders a page in different colrs than another.. You'de think they'de get smart about this.. but I guess it is just further proof that we live in the age of the quick buck.

Trumpy Offline OP
trollog,
I agree.
I would like to be able to use the High Contrast (Black background/Green text) screen with IE6, but there are some sites (especially where there are text-input fields) where the screen just come up black.
And it's a nuisance having to change backwards and forwards, a bit of a waste of time really. [Linked Image]

P
There is an option in IE (check the "Accessibility" menu) to ignore all HTML color selections. Of course, you would then get the whole page in just your default settings.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard