ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 196 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#131352 06/27/03 10:42 PM
Trumpy Offline OP
Thanks for ALL of your comments, guys! [Linked Image].
I think that it may be easier just to throw out the current keyboard and get a new (sealed) one.

#131353 07/04/03 10:17 PM
Trumpy Offline OP
I cleaned out my own computer at home, the other day and took the k/board to pieces and cleaned the keys with IPA(Iso-propyl Alcohol), it went OK, but now my space bar is not working too well and it's harder to press and it's really annoying, to have a key like this one, not work properly.
But, hey, I've got the cleanest darn keyboard in the land!. [Linked Image]
I was also thinking at the time, of what would happen if you got all the keys mucked up and round the wrong way, or even put them in alphabetically as opposed to the qwerty format, imagine getting an e-mail from a person, with a keyboard like that!, food for thought, eh!. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 07-04-2003).]

#131354 07/06/03 10:21 AM
P
Did you get the mechanism back properly? The larger-than-usual keys (spacebar, return, backspace, shift, etc.) often have a small wire "spring" which has to be fitted just right so that the key operates smoothly no matter which end you press it.

People have enough fun trying to get keyboards to work properly here as it is. If they forget to configure the system for a British keyboard, £ gives #, " gives @, and so on.

#131355 07/07/03 01:13 AM
Broom Pusher and
What I do to clean up the keyboard and mouse is to first shut down the machine (so keystrokes or mouse activity doesn't cause anything to launch or worse, be deleted!).

For the keyboard, I use some of "Big Blue's" Rigid Cleaning Tools ["RCT"] (IBM's Part / FRU # 2200574), along with a mild solution of dishwashing detergent in warm water.

Lightly soak one end of the RCT, run it between a section of keys, then dry with opposite side of the RCT. do the same on key faces and other dirty places.
Blow out keyboard with whatever is convenient (I use either compressed air or the exhaust end of a shop vac). Wait about 10 minutes so everything is dry, then power up the machine.

Works great for cleaning sticky keys that have something foreign (sp??) on them... such as spilled food or drinks.
If keys need to be removed, only pop out 1 or 2, but haven't ran into a keyboard which couldn't be cleaned without removing more than one key (that's when the recycle can looks like a nice place to store it!).

For a mouse, remove the tracking ball by rotating the base keyhole deal-ee / thing-ee.
Clean the ball with mild detergent and cool water (not warm or hot! that makes the ball porous and gooey!). Dry it off and set it aside.
Clean the roller base (which the ball rest against / the part you removed to get the ball out), by lightly soaking in same solution, then rub out the build up with a fine low lint cleaning towel.

Next, take a cotton swab and lightly soak one end in the cool water + detergent solution. Be sure the swab is not oversoaked, or drips.
Run the swab on the build up of lint which accumulates on the "X/Y" rollers inside the mouse device (where the ball contacts the rotating assembly(s)), along with the tensioning roller.
With either a tooth pick or tweezers, lift off the lint buildup from each of the three contacting points. Additional presoaking may be required for stubborn lint buildup.
After all lint is removed, run a clean swab, lightly soaked in solution, across all contacting points - until no dirt or lint is remaining.

Prior to reassembly, turn mouse over (as in normal operating direction - with the ball facing downwards), then lightly tap and shake the mouse, in order to dislodge any loose chunks of debris. Now clean the left and right mouse buttons, along with any other function buttons (like scroll wheel). Use a clean towel and the same water/detergent solution, making sure not to oversoak the towel.
Run the towel around the entire grip surface too. Wipe dry then blow out buttons, etc.
Lastly, clean the contacting surfaces on the bottom of the mouse, using the same solution. Towel dry, but do not blow dry!
Replace track ball, reset the base, then clean up your mess before powering up the PC! [Linked Image]

Be sure to clean your mouse pad too!

Scott35

p.s. let me know if this helps!

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard