ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 270 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#131291 05/21/03 04:37 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
If you're wondering why you haven't seen any postings of mine with pictures in them around ECN, here's why.
I've been having such one helluva time getting the darn drivers to work, that I nearly gave up and sent it back!.
It turns out that the Installation CD had most of the drivers AND the Auto-Run software missing off the disk.
And as for the camera itself, the batteries were flat!.
Won't be buying that brand again!!!. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 05-21-2003).]

#131292 05/22/03 06:56 AM
P
This is one of the reasons that I hate modern (especially Windows-based) software.

It's so bloated, uses huge amounts of RAM and disk space, and there can be so many incompatibilities that problems are inevitable.

How many times have you just started a program, only to be told "This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down" ? [Linked Image]

#131293 05/23/03 06:57 PM
Trumpy Offline OP
Yeah,
I really know what you mean there Paul!. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 06-30-2003).]

#131294 06/30/03 02:44 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
But one thing that annoy's me somewhat guys, is the fact that Windows XP (the system that I use), was meant to be made easier to use, by virtue of there being updates that you could download, to update your system.
I have tried this 3 times, and every time I have ended up with a virus on my computer.
(the D/Load process, requires that you disable Norton Anti-Virus)
Is this fair?.
And the software was legit, although, Microsoft, reckoned it was pirated.
(From thier own website?, hmmm, who's pulling whose leg, here?)
What are your thoughts on this travesty?. [Linked Image]

#131295 06/30/03 06:40 AM
P
Well, a lot of Windows software gives results which make it look like a virus at work anyway! I have Windows running on this one system only so I can use my AOL browser. I won't let it anywhere near a system which has anything important on it.

This system's gotta go eventually. I'll have to change ISPs to a more "conventional" one and get a DOS or Unix-based package for the net.
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article09-115

#131296 07/07/03 12:07 AM
Broom Pusher and
Hey Trumpy,

Could you describe your install problems in a little more detail?

I see your OS is Windows XP (which I am now slowly learning, since my Wife's new machine came with XP). Did XP find whatever port you are connecting the Camera to? (i.e. does device manager see your USB port?).
That could be the reason behind all the trouble (except the Autorun function).

Prior to trying the install again, make sure the port which you will connect the camera to is being seen by the PC.

If the Autorun function does not take off after a full minute has passed after inserting the CD into the drive, run the executable manually (make sure the CD-ROM drive is active and seen by the PC too!, plus that you didn't get sent a blank CD!).
With the disk inserted, manually kick in the executable for this application by using the "Run" command - found within the "Start Menu".

In the command line, type in the following syntax:

D:\setup.exe

Once you enter this command, either hit the Enter / Return key, or simply select the "Ok" button. This should launch the install application.

*** Notes:
<OL TYPE=A>

[*]If your CD is not drive D, change the drive letter to suit.

[*]If the executable is found within Sub Folders of the CD, click on the "Browse" button, select the drive letter for the CD, then search around within folders to find the correct executable. The CD most likely will have several options for installs under various operating systems, so browse through a folder that has a name like "Win XP" or similar.
</OL>

If you need a hand, feel free to ask away, or contact me directly.

Scott35.

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#131297 07/09/03 05:36 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
It's Working!!!
Scott,Paul,
I downloaded some new drivers from the manu-
facturers website, for the camera.
(These MUST have been modified, since I last visited the site) [Linked Image]
And Bu**er me, if the camera didn't start uploading as soon as I plugged it into the USB cable!.
I nearly fell off of my chair in fright!. [Linked Image]
But, I'm REALLY happy it's operational now,
3 or more months after I first purchased it. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 07-09-2003).]

#131298 07/09/03 10:06 AM
P
And this was the "user friendly" version! Just imagine how hard it would have been to get it working if it didn't like you.... [Linked Image]

Glad you're up and running anyway. Can we expect to see some pics of NZ wiring in the non-U.S. area soon?

#131299 07/09/03 07:22 PM
Trumpy Offline OP
Well, yes Paul,
Just have to get some good ones.
Most of the pics in my camera were just "test pictures", to get used to it's operation.
Unfortunately, only about two or three of these are usuable(and they don't relate to Electricity), due to being either out of focus or I never used a flash!.
But, stay tuned, I've got some ideas.
So watch out for heaps of crooked, out of focus and downright un-intelligible pics!. [Linked Image]
It's just going to take a wee while to get used to using all the features on this camera. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 07-09-2003).]

Link Copied to Clipboard