ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
(line from a TV commercial)

After some New Software/Old Hardware incompatabilities this past weekend I finally broke down and ordered a New PC for Home. It'll be my first 'Store-bought' Personal PC (other than Laptop). I was surprised at what could be gotten for such a small price. It just doesn't seem worth building them myself anymore.

Bill

Bill
P
Computing power has gotten incredibly cheap in recent years in terms of speed & capacity for your money.

I've just bought two old Heath/Zenith CP/M computers on eBay. For those unfamiliar with these, they are Z80-based, 64KB (yes 64K, not 64 MEG!) RAM and twin 5-1/4" floppy drives. The list price back in 1979 was around the $2500 mark! If you wanted a hard disk, it would set you back another four-figure sum. Just think of how much computing power that same amount would buy today, and then allow for 24 years' worth of inflation! [Linked Image]

Paul,

I have to ask ... why?

[Linked Image]
Bill

Bill
E
LOL!!! . . . Because he can?. . . [Linked Image]

Al Hildenbrand
[Linked Image]

One of my clients (who always needed to have cutting edge stuff) gave me a 68M Hard drive that he couldn't bear to throw out because it cost him $4,000 at the time. He couldn't even get $5 for it at his yard sale.

Paul,

It's too bad you weren't around here when the 'Lil' Computer Shop near me closed up. They would've given you a Truckload of antique stuff!

Bill

Bill
Paul,
I've got this really old Osbourne(sp?) computer at home here, the screen on it is like looking at an oscilloscope and it only uses BASIC.
Can't get it to do much, I think it's actually older than the first Apple computer or the Beeb. [Linked Image]

Bill,
Now that is a line, that could only have come from California.
Surfing-speak, the word "dude", isn't it?.
So how is the new addition to the family performing?.
What system does it run?. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 04-25-2003).]

Trumpy,

You might be right about the origin of that.

Maybe one of our CA 'Dudes' here can confirm that.

[Linked Image]

Bill
Didn't see your question there.
It comes next week. I feel attached to the one in front of me but it's only a P3-1000. The new one will be a P4-2.5xG

I'm not really looking forward to Windows XP though. I'm used to win 98 and now 2000 Professional (seems good)

Anyone have an opinion on Windows XP Home Edition?

Bill
Bill,
Windows XP is a dream to work with compared to '98, it even gives you a wee tour of it's attributes.
It will however take alittle bit to get used to, but I think you'll like it. [Linked Image]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard