ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Am I doing it right? I learned to do simple html before I attempted to do a web page.

Any experts out there who can take a look?

www.joetedesco.com

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 12-13-2002).]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
B
I think 'George Newton' should be 'Gerald Newton.'

T
Hi.

Your page appears to have been made using Microsoft Office.

The page itself is quite clear and dispenses with unnecessary clutter.

The page source ("behind-the-scenes code"), however, is a whole different ball of wax ;-)

I am not sure how the page displays in Netscape, so perhaps others can indicate what operating system and what browser is being used to view the page.

I'm using Windows XP with IE 6, and it looks just fine.

There is an option when saving documents from MS Word to use "filtered" HTML which cuts out a lot of the proprietary MS code.

D
Looks good Joe! Looks consistent across IE 6.0, NS 6.0, and NS 4.7 running on Win2k. The real test is how it looks to AOL users of various versions, but I'd venture to guess with your basic page it should be fine.

What are your plans for the site? Is the content that's there now going to be the focus? Who is your audience? These questions and a few others will help you shape the presentation of your information. Check out other similar sites or sites for other professional trades for more inspiration. You've got a great start!

ON EDIT:
If you have already learned simple HTML, stick with it and try to leave the visual editors (like Word, FrontPage, Homepage, Dreamweaver, etc) alone. You'll have a much better understanding and command of page design if you stick with code. About 75-85% of the code on your page can be eliminated and still work as desired on all browsers and platforms. It's really can be a lot simpler than Word made it. Later on, you can use visual editors to try new things, but always go back to the code to clean it up, keep it in check, or just to see what changed.

[This message has been edited by Darter (edited 01-03-2003).]

E
Looks fine Joe.

The advantage of using a Web Editor would be the "professional features" that that can be achieved relatively quickly without having to do a lot of tedious coding.

You can create a "template" that would be the "skeleton" of all the pages of your site. It can include the features that you want to appear on all pages, such as a menu, or navigation bar.

I used Microsoft Frontpage, which includes a large number of ready-made templates. You can also create your own template using "tables", which is what I did for my site. http://www.electric-ed.com/

Frontpage automates many tasks like checking for broken links, dead ends, etc.

Ed

Thanks to "WebSparky", my new web page layout is much easier to use!
www.joetedesco.com

My Web Site Was Designed by Grafixbynix http://www.grafixbynix.com/

Thanks Dave!!

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
G
I guess Joe you didn't write this by yourself, but I don't say, using a html writer, such as word is a mistake, I must say, If you decide to change something later, you have to reduce the information your source code contains, for you'll never find anything.
The other reason not to use a creator, is the syntax errors which will take away your mood for writing scripts.

Sorry, I don't wanna seen a know it all, so I link my own site. Check the cript by using the right mouse, you'll see it is simple and easy to understand. http://w3.externet.hu/~alterego/index.html

I have to add, I have learned all from this site, use it! [Linked Image] http://www.htmlgoodies.com/

[This message has been edited by Gloria (edited 10-10-2004).]

The world is full of beauty if the heart is full of love
T
twh Offline
oops! message deleted because this is an old topic.

[This message has been edited by twh (edited 10-10-2004).]

Link Copied to Clipboard