ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 248 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#130927 07/20/01 07:02 PM
Another pesky virus is going around. What it does is being debated. Some say that it's already going away, but I've already gotten 4 copies today myself from different sources. The subject and file was different each time but the message inside was the same. (note other messages may vary)

Hi! How are you?

I send you this file in order to have your advice

See you later. Thanks

http://www.wired.com/news/infostructure/0,1377,45397,00.html?tw=wn20010

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sircam.worm@mm.html

Bill
#130928 07/23/01 08:27 AM
This seems to be circulating around pretty well now I'm up to somewhere around 30 copies. (I've deleted 30 copies)

Be Careful about what you open!

Bill
#130929 07/23/01 03:48 PM
S
oh man, if i could only find the guy that sent me this i'd pull out his fingers one by one.........
[Linked Image]

#130930 07/23/01 04:05 PM
Broom Pusher and
Hi everyone,

The Virus [WORM] was just sent to me under the E-Mail address of a member in this forum [I'll contact that person directly to inform them of this WORM situation, which they most likely do not even know is resident on their drive].
It came in with the name "Barnett".
Attachments were:
  • One text file, named Barnett.txt - which contained the quoted message in Bill's message,
  • One file having .doc.pif extentions

Name of this WORM is sircam.worm with w32. in front and atmm ending.

If anyone in this forum that I have E-Mailed directly in the past receives a message from me after 07/23/2001 10:00 AM PDT [13:00 EDT], and the message contains any type of attachments, no text [except possibly the embedded text of the WORM], and most importantly - no Signature File at the bottom of the message body, then delete it IMMEDIATELY!!!
I did not execute the WORM, but I am not sure about it's rabbit abilities.

Be sure to update and run your Virus Scanner after deleting the WORM.

Let me know if anyone does receive this [or any] WORM, aliasing my E-Mail address or name.

Thanks!

Scott SET.

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#130931 07/23/01 08:39 PM
It is the #1 Infecton in N America and #2 in the World right now.
[Linked Image] (#1 everywhere except Africa)

http://wtc.trendmicro.com/wtc/ [Linked Image]

Here is a link to a removal tool and a description of what it does: [Linked Image]
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sircam.worm@mm.removal.tool.html

Good [Linked Image] Luck to all!

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 07-23-2001).]

Bill
#130932 07/24/01 04:05 AM
S
thanks for the links, i think they've done the trick here.

what a pain!

if you have received e-mail from me, believe me , it sent itself!!!

i have purposely not answered the many mailings back as yet, as i am still not 100%

#130933 07/24/01 07:32 AM
I'm not feeling left out, but I haven't seen it yet...

Thanks for the warning however...

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#130934 07/24/01 11:35 AM
Broom Pusher and
Steve,

Don't worry about replying to my E-Mail message [unless you want to]. I can imagine that people you don't even know are blasting the heck out of you by E-Mail, but they do not understand that Worms copy themselves and send themselves automatically - and the infected host computer's user/owner has no knowledge that this is going on!
It wasn't totally your fault [only the opening of attachments from unknown sources, or even known sources w/o verification was a no-no [Linked Image]].

These Worms do a very quick and dirty method of bouncing out copies via E-Mail, so once again my favorite PSA: Sig Files plus identifying text, along with some type of verification should be common practice when sending out attached E-Mail files. Security is crucial.

These Worms cannot do anything until executed or saved to your fixed disk then executed.
Executed means simply "ran". When you click an Icon in Windows to run a program, the Icon launches an .EXE file - that's an executable file. .BAT, .COM and scripts plus macros can run executables.

So much for the crash course in machine language 101 [Linked Image] There's quite a bit more to it, which would be at least 2 more paragraphs [silly, huh?].

Sorry that you got thrown in the fire with this darn Worm! Imagine if you could use this hacking ability to do something useful and benificial, as opposed to harmful and annoying?? That's what really irritates me! Would just love to have the hacking skills of the software EEs that create those real hardcore viruses. All my computer related work would be done automatically! One can only dream...

Scott SET

BTW: Bill,
Have you been bounced this Worm under my address? I sent out a warning message to all in my address book, so hopefully everyone will read it before depositing it to 'La Corbea [french for "The Trash Can" - spelling doesn't count when you have been awake for 22.5 hours [Linked Image]]

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#130935 07/24/01 05:06 PM
Scott,

No, I didn't get one from you that I know of. I think you are in the clear if you did not open the ones that you got. So, no worms here! [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Bill [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 07-24-2001).]

Bill
#130936 07/25/01 04:17 PM
S
whooo boy!
what a virus!
apparently it e-mails itself, and has e-mailed some old bills to individuals i have never even worked for....

some interesting respones there!

it deletes files at random....

it makes your computer do a sound like a toddler blowin' rasberries...

it generally pisses everyone you ever e-mailed off, to the point where i'm feelin' like the hitler of cyberspace...

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard