ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#130921 07/05/01 01:51 AM
When I use my new laptop outside and plug in the mouse it (the mouse) stops working very soon after. It's not a brand name but is similar to the MS wheelmouse but with a blue translucent top. I'm getting the idea that it is being affected by light somehow (even in the shade). If this is the case why would they make it translucent? [Linked Image]

Bill

Bill
#130922 07/05/01 03:05 PM
This is probably a dumb question...

Is it an optical mouse?

I don't see how a ball-type could be effected, but then again, stranger things have happened.

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#130923 07/05/01 05:38 PM
'66,

.. it's got a ball in it just like any others.

Bill

Bill
#130924 07/07/01 08:07 PM
Broom Pusher and
Bill,

Good question! Wish I had a good answer for 'ya! [Linked Image]

As you know, the mouse movement thru the ball makes two Opto-Isolators pulse on/off.
This is done by passing a "Shade" through the light source, so it creates the needed 0/1/0/1 pulses. They get fed to the logic gates in the mouse, which turn out the serial bit streams to the mouse's serial port [resulting in Bytes and parity bits].

Ambient light may have the possiblility of interfering with the opto-isolators, but it would need to be the Infrared frequency used with the LED on the isolator.

I am thinking it's more of a driver [software driver] conflict than any light interference.
Could be a combination of driver and IRQ conflicts.
Is there any fault dialog boxes that accompany the problem [GPF, etc]??
Also, does it effect anything else??
If the problem is predictable - that is you can make it happen at the same time more than once, it is probably a driver/hardware conflict.
It being a scroll mouse might be throwing your machine into a tizzy with the scroll wheel's code. Check to see if the software and proper drivers for the scroll mouse have been installed and configured.
Also, the scroll mouse utility should have user dependent settings, which you could alter to correct this problem.
If all else fails, consider stepping back to a simple 2 button mouse.
FYI - try using a known good 2 button simple mouse as a test to see if it works properly. If it faults too, it's likely that the onboard mouse is not being disabled.

You could create a boot setup that disables any local [built-in] mouse and driver, when you plan to use the externally connected mouse [I also can't stand the mouse on a laptop PC and only use an external mouse, connected to the PS/2 port!].

Also, if you have about 10 hours to kill [Linked Image], dive into a conflict search [oh man that hurts, even to type it out!!!].

Does the problem also cause problems with the CPU and/or operating system - such as driven to snail speed, or locking up system - requiring a warm reboot. If yes to any of these, it's definitely a hardware conflict - like two items using one IRQ at once!!

What I thought Virgil was getting at might have been the cordless mouse??? [I am probably wrong]. But after re-reading his post, it's clear that he is referring to the "Optical" mouse [w/o a tracking ball]. Seen a few used by friends and clients, and they worked well under various light conditions.

Well, good luck Bill on the mouse thing! Let us know the outcome.
I'm thinking conflict, but could be interference from light entering it like you said. Only one way to find out... and I'm sure you know what that is [Linked Image]

Scott SET

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#130925 07/07/01 08:18 PM
Scott,

I do not really know what the inner workings are, but I had wondered if they somehow involved light. I have 2 of tghese mice I bought for the kids, 1 'clear' purple (translucent) and 1 blue. They both do it. Within a very short time (seconds) outside I get no up and down movement at all, then the horizontal may stop too. No error messages, nothing. BTW, they both work fine indoors, but not out under the covered patio (shaded).

I've repeated this a half dozen times already. No big deal really, I just use the touchpad (or I could use a different mouse) I am just curious as to why they would make them translucent?? [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Bill

Bill
#130926 07/10/01 02:09 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
>I am just curious as to why they would make them translucent??
They are not suitable for exposure to sunlight. [Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard