ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 539 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#130899 05/21/01 08:52 PM
Alright...how'd ya do that?... the trademark symbol...

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#130900 05/21/01 09:08 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
What no one told us is which font is used for the bulletin board.

Upon inspection, I see that the choice is Verdana and if not available, then Arial.

So whatever characters you use, they need to be in those fonts.
Otherwise, your results will vary.

#130901 05/22/01 11:50 PM
Broom Pusher and
Dspark,

That's kind of a tuffy for me to layout.

When we make up the message, it's some type of Serif Font - maybe Courier?? Looks like Courier's format [typical of a typewriter].

Now, on the otherhand, when the message is posted for all to see - it is a Sans Serif Font - looking very much like the common Arial Font.
The thing here is that's the default typeset [Font] I have Netscape set to use on E-Mail and for the Browser [set to "Use My Preferences" in the edit/preferences menu].

So as far as I know [afaik], the character we are working on here for ALT / CTRL keystrokes is the original Serif Font.

If someone could do a little more investigation into this, that would be great!! Need to know if there will be any change in ALT characters between the default new message body, and the viewed message in a thread [which could be any Font that's set to be default].
I would do it, but who wants to read my interpretations and explainations on that?? [Linked Image]
Heck, I can't even explain a toothpick without complicating the whole thing to death!! Sorry to be so darn Enigmatic [Linked Image]

Scott SET

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#130902 05/23/01 12:23 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
>When we make up the message, it's some type of Serif Font - maybe Courier??

The thing here is that's the default typeset [Font] I have Netscape set to use on E-Mail and for the Browser [set to "Use My Preferences" in the edit/preferences menu].{/b]
Right. It will be your default fixed pitch font, most likely a Courier.

>[b]Now, on the otherhand, when the message is posted for all to see - it is a Sans Serif Font - looking very much like the common Arial Font.

Right. If you don't have Verdana, it will be Arial.

... unless you have specified that you wish to override the page-specified fonts with your own preferences.

>[afaik], the character we are working on here for ALT / CTRL keystrokes is the original Serif Font.
But it does not matter what you see then.
The character will be displayed from the Verdana or Arial font when we see it.

>Need to know if there will be any change in ALT characters between the default new message body, and the viewed message in a thread
I already told you, yes.

>which could be any Font that's set to be default
No, the page specifies Verdana or Arial in that order. Most people do not specify that their default should override the page settings.

So if you specify character 234, we will see character 234 from Verdana if we have it, otherwise character 234 from Arial.

#130903 05/23/01 12:34 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
If you use Windows, there's a utility that comes with it, called "Character Map", which shows the ALT or CTRL + xxxx keystroke combinations for characters on all the resident fonts loaded into Windows [all the fonts you can use without a 2nd party manager].
Typically, this is around 75 or more local fonts.

But if you are preparing a post for this forum, select your special characters from the Verdana (or Arial) font only.

«T£§†¡ñg º,¹,²,¾...»

#130904 05/28/01 05:53 PM
T
Sparky on my computer it is alt+0174 I dont have any specifics on my system cause my support guy is probably gone for the summer.Sorry I took so long to get back.

#130905 01/09/06 03:03 PM
R
I'm still looking for the Omega symbol.

The ALT 234 or with leading zero doesn't work.

Anyone has found the solution, even the IT men at work didn't know.

Thanks Ray

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
#130906 01/09/06 05:21 PM
Tried to copy the greek letter Omega here from MS Word (Verdana font) but failed.

[This message has been edited by Radar (edited 01-09-2006).]

There are 10 types of people. Those who know binary, and those who don't.
#130907 01/09/06 05:47 PM
C
Press the "Number Lock" key, then use START>PROGRAMS>ACCDESSORIES>CHARACTER MAP (may be same path, but add >SYSTEM TOOLS>CHARACTER MAP).

You guys look like a bunch of wanna-be hackers from AOL...LOL.

۩

~~ CELTIC ~~
...-= NJ =-...
Hi Scott,
This was bought up in the ECN Chatrooms this evening by Marc (frenchelectrician).
Hence my PM to you.
Now it seems that the great majority of symbols under the ASCII system do work in the Chat room (this being off-site software to the Board), although that may have changed since the upgrade, I'm not sure.
BTW, when using a laptop (I have a Dell Inspiron 500m), if wanting to use these characters, you need to have your secondary keypad enabled in the set-up menu (F2 on startup).
Now depending upon the laptop that you have (Mine has a Fn (function) key written in blue on it.
When using non-standard characters, you need to hold down your Fn (or what it is on your laptop)andthe Alt Key, while you type the code, for a particular character.
I hope that this info actually helps someone.
With a standard keyboard you just hold down the Alt key and then release it before you hit Enter, after having entered the code.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard