ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 377 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
H
hodger Offline OP
Hello all:

I am interested in this forums opinions on the pro's and con's of "stabbing" wires into back of devices versus "screwing" down. As of now, our company use the screw method, but more and more over the years we are seeing this as the abnormal practice in our area.

Does it make since to continue to take the extra time to do this on our trim outs?

rick
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

N
I have seen way to many poor connections and burned up wires to trust the backstab terminations. I always use the screw terminals, or better yet the screw down "pressure plate" type found on high quality devices.

J
I was taught not to back wire in the 70's. I have not seen anything to convince me that it is a good idea. When you twist the wire around the screw and tighten down, I think your contact area is a little more certain.
Joe

V
I love the "pressure plate" type termination. Back stab ease, but you still screw it down. Have found both backstab, and hook it and screw it down type devices burned up. I think if you avoid cheap devices, the termination style does not matter to a huge degree.

Pete
C
Have you ever stabbed a breaker?
I think that speaks volumes on the subject.

~~ CELTIC ~~
...-= NJ =-...
celtic:

How about those horrible Zinscos with the quick release? [Linked Image]

I think I have a few in my junk pile. [Linked Image]

Stupid should be painful.
I personnally love the stab in the back................they keep me in business. Garuanteed service calls in the waiting. Usally the 1st device on the circuit stab fails when the load side devices are loaded up. Space heater on the last device and a couple of lamps and boom a service call for no power, power keeps going on and off, burned device, open neutral, etc.
Ob

Choose your customers, don't let them choose you.
G
I think a sure fire way to make a stab fail is to have the wire less than perfectly straight when you stab it.

Greg Fretwell
I
Have you ever stabbed a breaker?

Yes.

Somewhere on this site I have a picture of a QO twin breaker with speedwire terminals.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
T
quote:Have you ever stabbed a breaker?

Yes.

Somewhere on this site I have a picture of a QO twin breaker with speedwire terminals.
Iwire
Say it aint so. QOs with back stabs. That's it the world has officially gone to hell.
--
Tom Horne

Tom Horne

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use" Thomas Alva Edison
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard