ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 267 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#130510 07/06/06 03:00 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Scott,
I think I sent you an e-mail a while back about this subject.
What format would you like the diagrams in?.
I'd like to submit some but I haven't got the time to draw them.
I must sit down one weekend and have a good go at them.
Anyone else got diagrams (Schematics) for the Tech Reference Area?.
Cheers Scott!. [Linked Image]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Broom Pusher and
Mike,

The Forum's Software will allow either .JPG or .GIF images to be posted directly into a "topic", typical of the previously posted Schematics + Pictures in various Forum areas.

For "Line Drawings", normally I will save the drawing in .GIF format - since this will give a good image quality - vs. - file size.
Typical "saves" as .GIFs from my Graphics Application are done with "Standard Compression", and "Non Interlaced" Images.

Photo Quality type Images, or drawings with hard edges + multiple entities may be better if saved as .JPG format.
This option gives much better image quality, however it increases the file size.
Typical "saves" as .JPGs from my Graphics App' are done with a compression of 20% on smaller sized files, upto 45% on larger files.

Lastly, .GIF translations on some Graphics Applications (like mine) may alter line colors, so if the colors need to remain true on drawings, save them as .JPG and compress as needed.

Once you have saved your drawings in a suitable file format (.GIF or .JPG), upload them to the Innnneerrnet [Linked Image]
Either upload to an accessible Server, or to the ECN Server (contact the Webster regarding Server access).

Once the image(s) are accessible, create a new topic in a relevant Forum area, and "Insert" the image(s) using the "UBB Image Tags".
Example:

[ img ] http://www.sparkys_gone_wild.con/lookout/sparksfly.gif [ / img ]

I inserted spaces within the image tags, so the UB code would not attempt to find the non-existent link!

Contact me if you have any questions, comments, concerns, suggestions, etc.

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
Broom Pusher and
P.S.:

If you send images to me for translating and posting, send them as one of the following:

***For Raster-Based Graphics (Non-CAD Files):
<OL TYPE=A>

[*] .GIF,

[*] .JPG,

[*] .WMF,

[*] .BMP,

[*] .TIF
</OL>

***For Vector-Based Graphics (CAD Files):
<OL TYPE=A>

[*] .DWG (save as AutoCAD 2000 version),

[*] .DXF (also save as compatible to AutoCAD version 2000).
</OL>

Feel free to contact me via reply, E-mail, or both, if you have additional questions.

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Broom Pusher and
*** BUMP-A-DEE-BUMP ***

Mike,
Is the above information what you were looking for, or did I go in the wrong direction?

Feel free to contact me via E-mail if you need to.

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Trumpy Offline OP
Scott,
Yes that explained a lot.
However in my e-mail I explained that possibly the Area could also be used to post diagrams for the Business Area, where diagrams of floor plans and location diagrams are posted for possible use in the Business Chats on Wednesday nights.
I realise that there is a maximum size of file here, of any format, but could this sort of thing be done, should it be required?.
I'd invite the comments of Les (LK) on this.
As far as I am concerned, any file that you get from me will be a .JPG file, as I will either scan a printed copy or have it on file here as one.
If it is pruned down to ECN size, that is no big issue with me at all.
I realise that we have a finite amount of space on the ECN Server, I'd hate to be the person that filled it up all by my self.
After all, a lot of these images are only used once, although they are viewed by others down the track.

Thanks for your replies Scott!. [Linked Image]

Broom Pusher and
Mike,

possibly the Area could also be used to post diagrams for the Business Area, where diagrams of floor plans and location diagrams are posted for possible use in the Business Chats on Wednesday nights.

This sounds great to me! I would be happy to assist wherever needed.

I realize that there is a maximum size of file here, of any format, but could this sort of thing be done, should it be required?

Yes! It may be done, and many times in discussions, it really should be done, in order to pass on a more complete description / example.

As far as I am concerned, any file that you get from me will be a .JPG file, as I will either scan a printed copy or have it on file here as one.
If it is pruned down to ECN size, that is no big issue with me at all.

Regarding actual displayable Image sizing (size of an image on a monitor, not file size):
The "Target Size" in the past was not to exceed 640 pixels x 480 pixels.
If the LENGTH of a drawing was long, resize the image so the WIDTH did not exceed "640".
Set the Application to "Scale Proportionally", so the entire image size is reduced, or enlarged equally.

Now that most people have displays (monitors) which are able to easily display Pixel sizes of 1024 x 768 and higher, a more "current" image size may be considered for drawings, which would have parameters of 800 Pixels x 600 Pixels as the "Target Image Size"
Images now should not exceed a WIDTH of 800 Pixels.

Image scaling is kind of "Trial and Error" at first, because small drawings look odd if scaled up too much, and large drawings are very difficult to read, when scaled down too far.
Along with the actual line drawings of any items (be this a component, ladder diagram, equipment detail, and the like), a compatible font size is very important, one which produces good results after the final scaling work is done to the image.

Keep all this in mind when generating / creating any drawings, and when performing final image edits.

I realize that we have a finite amount of space on the ECN Server, I'd hate to be the person that filled it up all by my self.

I have a lot of stuff on the Server Space allocated for the "Theory" uploads, so this might be a concern.

Best for us both to E-mail the Webster (Bill), and find out if there will be any space allocation issues with the "Theory" uploads partition of the Server, or if an additional partition should be made (new server space).
If you plan to upload to the "Theory" partition, Bill will need to set you up with access rights.

No matter where the images are saved on the ECN Server (which partition / directory), they may be accessed and attached to messages posted in the Technical Reference section.

Two items which need to be addressed, per posts made in the Technical Reference section are:

1: You may need to request access ("Posting") rights, in order to make any new topic posts or reply posts in the Tech. Reference section.
Contact Mr. Webster (Bill), to arrange for posting access authorization.

2: As is common in posts made to the other forum areas, a single message post may not exceed 8 attached, or tagged items.
In order to post multiple items (exceeding 8 items), make "Replies" to the original topic, as would be done to create a normal thread.
Within the "Reply" post(s), insert any additional items as needed.

After all, a lot of these images are only used once, although they are viewed by others down the track.

That's the great thing about this forum - ability to view drawings and such, by anyone at anytime!
It is the best inspiration, the first time someone makes comments on your posted drawings / images.
Even more, when someone "out of the blue" (suddenly brings up something, which was discussed long ago) makes comments on your posted material.

There are probably lots of things I forgot to cover here, so feel free to reply if needed.

I'll send an E-mail to Bill right after posting this message.

See ya later!

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
However in my e-mail I explained that possibly the Area could also be used to post diagrams for the Business Area, where diagrams of floor plans and location diagrams are posted for possible use in the Business Chats on Wednesday nights.
Mike,

As far as I know Les and Doug already have access to an upload area and can upload or post images in the Business Forum at any time for this purpose. (if I'm wrong please let me know) I think if something is being used solely for a Business related discussion it would be better located there.

Bill

Bill
B

Good pointers by all.

A couple of side notes.. If you have accessible server space of your own, you can link to an image on that server to display on ECN. See "Adding Images" at https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/ubbcode.html

A 600-pixel width seems allow for most screen sizes.

An excellent freeware do-it-yourself image editor is "IrfanView" at {surprise} www.IrfanView.com . {Well worth the $12 suggested donation.} It has a bit of a learning curve, but gives outstanding results once you familiarize yourself with it.

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 07-09-2006).]

Broom Pusher and
Hey there, Scott ("Bjarney");

Nice to see you back at ECN again!!! [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Hope all is well with you.

Scott35

BTW, is your e-mail address different, or were there "issues" with your ISP?

Sent a few messages to you, and they were bounced back, marked "SMTP 550".

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson

Link Copied to Clipboard