ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 279 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#130503 07/06/06 01:30 AM
Scott35 Offline OP
Broom Pusher and
Hello all;

I posted a drawing by "JoeTestingEngr", in the Technical Reference section, under the topic heading of:

Nice Drawing!!!

Check it out.

If any questions, feel free to post them to this (possible) Thread.

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

J
Wow Scott, I'm surprised it showed up this well considering all of the manipulation it has been through. On my original, the back panel was a green. Did you change it to a red or is that how AutoCad interpreted it? You can almost tell those are Photohelics in the drawing. I'll probably be sending some more now that we know that they work.
Thanks,
Joe

Scott35 Offline OP
Broom Pusher and
Joe,

Glad you saw the posted drawing, and also replied.

On my original, the back panel was a green. Did you change it to a red or is that how AutoCad interpreted it?

Nope, didn't change any colors.
Maybe the color (number) you used in your CAD Application was interpreted by my CAD Application as Red, or maybe it was from translation to .DXF on your end, or translation from .DXF to .DWG on my end.

Is .DXF the "Natural" file format your Application saves as, or do you need to specify .DXF as an alternate save choice (or as an "exported" choice)?

I used a "Generic" Real-Mode (DOS based) CAD Application on my old 80386sx based PC, back in late 1992 - through 1993, but cannot remember the name. It worked without requiring the 80387 "Math Co-Processor" (FPU) being installed.
Also used a Real-Mode / DOS environment AutoCAD Application (version 11?) between late 1993 through mid 1994, after installing the 80387 FPU.
Ended up using a Windows Environment version of AutoCAD LT from 1994 through 1996, which was sssslllllooooowwwwwww when working on heavy drawings.
Think the version was "AutoCAD LT For Windows, version 2", which I believe was a stripped down version of Release 12, but written for use in a Windows Environment, and in "Virtual 386 Mode", or "Enhanced Mode", rather than running "out of the shell" in a Protected Mode Interface (man, its been a long time!)

Of course, this was under the old Windows 3.1 Shell, on top of DOS 6.2.
Things improved when I installed Windows 3.11 (Windows for Workgroups) on a freshly formatted fixed disk drive!

I'll probably be sending some more now that we know that they work.

Send away!!! [Linked Image]

Let me know if the background of any drawings should be "White", so I can alter my user settings prior to an export command.
Used to change background to "White" before exporting, but now I just leave it "Black".

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
J
Scott, the old Level 3 Generic CADD used .dwg files. The 5.0 and 6.0 use .gcd Generic CADD Drawing files. If you use a (QU)it or (DS) drawing save command, it will save as the default .gcd. If you type (SA)ve, you are given choices including .gcd, .dxf, and the Level 3 .dwg formats. But you've made me notice something I never did before... I also have an (I)mage choice under (SA)ve. I can pick GX2, pcx, tif, bmp, img, or MSP 2.0 or MSP 1.0. I don't have a clue about a couple of these file formats. The bmp, tif, & pcx allow me to choose a black or white background. I can pick 2 or 16 colors for .pcx or .bmp. This will really help me to send drawings to those without Cadd programs. All this time I have been hitting the "print screen" and pasting into a Word .doc.

I just did a couple tests for file size. A B&W pcx is 7KB and a color is only 21KB. A tif or B&W bmp are both 38KB. Finally, a color bitmap is 151KB.

This is a Dos based program but I have run it in W95, 98SE, 2000, and XP. It's not supposed to run in Windows but I guess nobody has convinced it yet. The Level 3 ran in my 386-25 without problems but the redraws really got faster with the addition of the 387.
Joe

B

One glitch dealing with files sent as DXFs. The line weight {width} seems to default to the thinnest width, regardless of that in another CAD format.

E.g., see https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum15/HTML/000092.html The non-black lines are s'posed to be fatter in the C84 drawings.

[They were drawn with Autosketch V.8.]

P
Joe
That is a nice drawing. How long did that take you to draw?

Pierre Belarge
J
I can't honestly tell you how long it took me to do it. The last .gcd save date is in May '03. I was designing the proposed system while I was drawing it. If I'm going to do a drawing, I want it to be something that can really be built. I'm sure that it must've taken more time than our high priced consultant's drawings that depicted devices that can only exist on paper. By sweating the details I knew that I could swing open the inner panel without clipping the Photohelics, and close the front door without pushing jog buttons. I like to think that I could send you this drawing as a dxf, with a few cut sheets, and that you could find the actual part numbers. (except for the contact blocks) At least I have the components created for the next time I need to use them.
Joe

[This message has been edited by JoeTestingEngr (edited 07-09-2006).]

Link Copied to Clipboard