ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 763 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
This must be why so many people in the Electrical Industry are also musicians .

That's a great idea for demonstrating Harmonics, Mike!

Scott35

I'm a skydiver. Can I use that to explain drop outs? Thinkin' back to the first one, I almost had to wash the brown out.
Joe

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

L
Joe, why don't blind people skydive?

Larry Fine
Fine Electric Co.
fineelectricco.com
J
Because it scares the heck out of the dog.

How does a blind skydiver know when to flare?
The leash goes limp.

Now for the truth. I actually have loaned my rig to a blind skydiver friend many years ago. He had over sixty jumps the last I had heard. I remember how nervous and excited I was about a night 4-way RW dive. Dan wasn't impressed. I also remember him telling of a painful jump he did in SW Pa. where his radio failed and he never flared and landed in full glide. Crash & burn. He said he heard crickets just before he hit. His lesson learned: If you hear crickets, FLARE!!!
Joe

A
Next time have people email the answer.
I knew that one right away

L
How do you make a cat go "woof!"?

Larry Fine
Fine Electric Co.
fineelectricco.com
T
Pour gas on it and throw a match.

We are in grave danger of PO'ing some activists here.

Trumpy - on a 5 string bass as opposed to a 4, does it generally have 1 higher or 1 lower string? If lower, does a bass really need a lower string, and could a higher string be used? Always been curious about that.

Radar

There are 10 types of people. Those who know binary, and those who don't.
T
And to follow the last question: How about the tuning on a six string bass?

Gidday Radar,
on a 5 string bass as opposed to a 4, does it generally have 1 higher or 1 lower string? If lower, does a bass really need a lower string, and could a higher string be used?
Generally a 5-string bass will have a "top" (when viewed while wearing the bass) string tuned to B, however, some 5-string basses used in jazz areas have a "bottom" string tuned to C, as an addition to the normal set of 4 strings.
The reasoning behind the whole 5-string bass came about in the 60's-70's, where the music written in pop circles could not be accommodated with a normal 4-string.
This was a product of the disco era and has carried on since then, with a lot of bassists using a 5-string to give thier sound more "low -end".
A 6-string bass has the tuning B E A D G C.
Here is a list of the actual open string frequencies:
  • B: 30.87Hz
  • E: 41.20Hz
  • A: 55.00Hz
  • D: 73.40Hz
  • G: 97.90Hz
  • C: 130.80Hz

Mildly interesting fact about the electric bass, when it was first introduced, some record producers refused to use it, in favour of the upright bass, stating that it would damage thier recording equipment. [Linked Image]

Scott35 Online Happy OP
Broom Pusher and
Got a question, regarding the tuning of a 12 String Guitar (standard tuning that is... not "tuned down"):

Since each set of strings (per note/chord) is set 1 octave apart, does one set the tuning on the largest string first, then tune the smaller string by matching the Harmonic of the larger string - or another string?...

Or...

Is this something best done with a Piano (or Keyboard) to match tuning per Octave?...

Or...

Use a Tuner?

I have never tuned a 12 string, and - in fact, have only held One (1) 12 string Acoustic Guitar for about 15 seconds (moving it out of the way, to avoid damaging it during equipment setup!).

Love the similarities of an Audio Waveform and an EMF (Electro Magnetic Field) Waveform.

Audio ones have Even Numbered Harmonics being Zero-Sequencing, whereas EMF ones have Odd Numbered Harmonics being Zero-Sequencing.

Regarding Radio: In AM Broadcasting of Non-Commercial usage - such as "HAM Radio", does anyone recognize "SSB", and is it used in other areas other than medium frequency broadcasts (500kHz - 1600kHz)?

RF work is really interesting to me!
I like it because of the ways to place information on carrier waves, the types of information to place on carriers, how to modulate that wave, how to receive the entire package and extract that information, and how the package looks so much like an Acoustical (Psycho acoustical) package - or could be compared to certain ones.

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard