ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 272 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#129733 01/19/06 10:37 AM
J
JBD Offline
X,

Also glad to have you back. I was looking forward to more of the "healthy" debate/discussion on this topic.
I mean like this post ain't any where near a record length yet.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#129734 01/19/06 12:55 PM
X
dereckbc,
OK, your last post made more sense to me. Especially: this "Although the reference ground point (the N-G bond) goes to 10,000 volts, so does our Line and neutral voltage". My thoughts were that the excess line surge needed to be re-directed, and to ground, but if the ground has the same surge current on it...Also, I'd like to add that I'm in Florida, and you know we have lot's of lightning here. But, a recent study conducted in Tampa (I'm not sure of the date of this study), shows that 80% of the surges came from equipment inside the premises, while only 20% came from lighning and the utlility. So this led to my other belief, that a surge from inside, had to be directed to the outside of the premises. And when I'm talking about a surge re-direction, I'm talking about the excess voltage that escaped the clamping devices. If I remember correctly, the article said that only 20% of the surges were from outside sources, because of how effective modern day service entrance TVSS is.

#129735 01/19/06 03:21 PM
D
X, glad I was able to help out. FWIW you are now on to something; most transients are generated within, it is true in commercial and industrial applications. That is why the entrance TVSS is just a starting point called Class “C” application. You have to apply Class “B” and Class “A” devices to control the internally generated transients.

Again I will say earth ground has no function here either. But that is not to say the EGC does not have a function, because it does. Internally generated transients are all carried on the premise wiring. Any transients need to be returned back to its source. So how do you do that. To start you install Class “B” devices in all breaker and distribution panels. Actually the best method is to install panels with TVSS built-in the unit. Add-ons can be made worthless by the installation itself. Finally you install Class “A” device right across the point of use or at the terminals to stop (or return it) at the source.

Some more IEEE/ANSI document that you might try to get your hands on is IEEE Std C62.41 Recommended Practice on Surge Voltages in Low-Voltage AC Power Circuits, IEEE Std C62-1990 Guide and Standards for Surge Protection, and UL-1449.

#129736 01/29/06 11:00 PM
P
This has been an outstanding thread!!!
It is good to see XEdgeX come back and explain himself...good for you... it will be good to hear your ideas in the future.
Bob- it is good to see you refraining from putting the hammer on X. Who says you are stubborn?

Derec... as usual, you are great. Each time I learn more and more from you and my peers will benefit as well.

Pierre Belarge
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard