ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#129616 06/15/05 06:24 PM
D
I am reading where Harmonic currents get trapped in the Delta windings in a D-Y transformer, they circulate and heat them dry transformers up.

Question, Do they ever make it back to the POCO transformers, or do they stay circulating in the SDS transformer?

Dnk.....

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#129617 06/19/05 12:29 AM
Cat Servant
I think we have to be careful, as all the various 'models' we use have their limitations.

I would say that, first of all, nothing gets "trapped." Converted to heat or motion, perhaps...but it simply can't just sit there accumulating.

Secondly, we are dealing with AC. While all electricity is invisible- we have to use our imaginations to try to understand it- AC has a few quirks that DC lacks. These quirks exist because AC is always in a state of change- even when nothing is happening. Induction, reactance, impedence, and even capacitance are strongly influenced by this constant flux.

The whole point of harmonics is the effect certain things have on the time something happens....delay some current a little, and it gets added to the current from another phase, thus overloading the neutral. I would say that, at the transformer, where the neutral originates, that all time-affected matters balance out- perhaps generating some heat in the process.

I expect that this "balancing" may not be perfect- that is, the current may not return to being exactly in sync with the voltage. This is 'power factor,' and is something that is sent on to the power company grid. Another facet of "power quality," this is addressed with capacitors.

#129618 07/12/05 11:43 PM
S
>Secondly, we are dealing with AC. While all electricity is invisible-

I've seen it John I swear to god.

Rob

Link Copied to Clipboard