ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by HotLine1 - 04/23/24 02:17 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 231 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#129503 10/18/05 12:28 PM
U
Paul, the test pen was up near around the Centre of the body, away from the switch.
Like I said it lit up when the drill was not running. But once the trigger was pulled on, it went out! The switch was definately single Pole. I tried another non-contact test Pen...Same result! Tried same on 115mm Grinder...Same.

Cheers!

All I Wanted Was A Cup Of Tea!!
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#129504 10/19/05 07:50 AM
P
If it's a single-pole switch, that would explain it. With the drill off, the pen is picking up the field from the 55V hot leg which is still connected to the motor.

Once running, you've got both 55V legs (180 degrees out of phase) connected to the motor to balance out.

#129505 10/24/05 02:57 PM
U
Thanks Paul,

could you explain how the 180* out of phase bit?

thanks

#129506 10/25/05 05:00 AM
P
It's exactly the same principle as the standard U.S. residential supply, only at half the voltage (or thereabouts).

The center tap of the 110V secondary is grounded, which gives you 55V relative to earth at each end of the winding.

As one end of the winding starts to go positive, the other end simultaneously swings negative (both with reference to ground). On the next half cycle, the polarities are reversed. Thus the zero crossing points coincide, but the positive peak on one leg corresponds with the negative peak on the other -- 180 deg. out of phase.

The electrostatic fields in each leg will be equal and opposite due to the inverse phase relationship. So when you have the drill running, you have the electrostatic field from one 55V leg balancing out that from the other 55V leg, giving no indication.

When you open the single-pole switch, you are then registering the field from just a single 55V leg.

Have you tried putting the volt-pen along the flex feeding the drill?

#129507 10/25/05 02:27 PM
U
Thanks Paul,
Great answer, I'll try the flex tomorrow & let you know.

I think I put the pen on the flex last time, I dont think it lit up In the on or off position, but I'll double check.

Thanks.

#129508 10/26/05 06:58 PM
U
Paul, I tested the flex feeding the drill.
Drill on...nothing.
Drill off...nothing.

Don't forget this drill is Class 2, Double insulated (no earth). Single Pole Switch.

Switch on... nothing.
Switch Off....Pen lights up from behind chuck back down to switch.

9" Grinder Double Pole Switch... nothing all ways.

Do you think it could be anything to do with the Capacitor/suppressor joined up at the Switch?

#129509 10/28/05 08:48 AM
P
I tested the flex feeding the drill.
Drill on...nothing.
Drill off...nothing.

That makes sense, because at the flex you have both 55V legs producing equal but opposing electrostatic fields at all times.

Don't forget this drill is Class 2, Double insulated (no earth). Single Pole Switch.

Switch on... nothing.
Switch Off....Pen lights up from behind chuck back down to switch.

When running you have 55V opposing on the flex, at the switch, and at the motor. When off, you have two 55V opposing legs on the flex and at the switch, but only one 55V leg energized from there to the motor.

9" Grinder Double Pole Switch... nothing all ways.

Do you think it could be anything to do with the Capacitor/suppressor joined up at the Switch?

I think you'd get the same results without the suppressor. The grinder has a double-pole switch, so testing at the motor gives you either both 55V opposing legs or neither, so no indication on or off.

The key is the electrostatic (voltage) field from one or both 55V legs of the supply. If you were looking for an electromagnetic field, it would be a different story, since that will be produced only when current is flowing.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 10-28-2005).]

#129510 10/28/05 02:33 PM
U
Thanks Paul,

Have you ever thought of becoming a GP.!!
So these pens pick up both Electrostatic & Elrctro magnetic fields. Once again thanks for the explaination.

J2R

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard