ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 37 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#129332 01/21/05 09:50 PM
S
hello there..friends please help me with my problem.
Is it possible to bank 2 transformers in open delta if it has different kva rating?
assuming that both have the same voltage rating,impedance ratio and frequency.
If it is possible, then how would i compute the power contribution of each transformer?
your inputs would truly be appreciated.
thanks in advance,.,.

Oh Yeah!
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

P
My answer to your question is yes!
As I know there are 7 condictions should be met when you parallel 2 transformers:

1)P-S voltage must be the same!
2)Proper polarities connetion
3)Percentage impedence of one is between 92.5% and 107.5% of the other
4)Same tap setting
5)Identical phase displacements.
6)Identical frequency
7)Equivalent impedence and X/R ratio

So I think it is possible to bank 2 transformers in open delta even if they have different kva ratings!!!
And the total Apparent Power=(P1+P2)x86.6%!

B
Bob Offline
The utilities do this all the time. You might have a 50 kva and a 10 kva banked together. This is done when the 3 phase load is small. The 3 phase load is 57% on each transformer and the lighting transformer(50kva) will carry 100% of the single phase load.

[This message has been edited by Bob (edited 01-21-2005).]

B

There are some assorted cut-and-paste notes from El Paso Electric on non-symmetrical delta- and open-delta-secondary transformer banks. [It is unnecessary that the pair of transformers be matched.] These configurations are mostly intentionally unsymmetrical to allow for inherently unbalanced 1ø and 3ø loads.

Save file http://6L6.net/bjarn/ecn.DSOexcerpt-7delta.pdf ~1.1MB {available for a short time}

Another [fee-based] reference is §8 in ANSI/IEEE Std C57.105-1978 …Application of Transformer Connections in Three-Phase Distribution Systems.

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 01-22-2005).]

S
guys thanks a lot. now it is clearer to me.i hope you would still answer mr questions cause i have a lot. btw i am a newly licensed practitioner so your inputs would truly help me...once again thanks..

Oh Yeah!
M
The seven requirements are important when paralleling transformers.This is when the transformers primarys are connected together and their secondaries feed the same load. When you are banking transformers
like three transformers feeding a three phase load or two transformers in an open delta configuration the impeedance is not important. The only exception is primary delta and secondary delta. Then you want to have your impeedances close. In the case of the open delta with the 50kva and the 10 kva you woutd be just fine. If you bank a transformer with two others the one with the lower impedance will take more of the load. Being that the impedance of the 50kva is most likely lower than the 10 kva you are in good shape.

marcel1444

Link Copied to Clipboard