ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#12926 08/21/02 07:11 PM
J
Jim M Offline OP
This was posted on a DIY site. I don't see how Article 312 would apply to a sleeve for NM-B running to a surface mounted device ie switch or receptacle. Your thoughts?

We commonly 'sleeve' romex NM-B cable from a suface mounted wall box ...and it extends up into a joist space...and does not penetrate any of the structure.This saves us from installing a splice box up there!

The conduit is generally a straight piece and extends up into the joist space,and MUST have a protective bushing on that far end.

A complete conduit system is defined as one with enclosures etc at each end.

A 24" short nipple between two enclosures ,and no longer than 24" is permotted to be filled at 60% of its area...as it is apart of a complete system.
This would require a trade size conduit of no less than 3/4" for a 12-2G NM-B cable.

Your installation is not a complete system...and the 1/2" conduit is fine,[I prefer 3/4" for this ] if between 18" and not longer than 10ft..and if it is also secured at the far end...if the NM-B was installed without trauma...a bushing is installed and the opening sealed as per 312-5.c.d...and the cable is stapled within 12" of the exit point in that joist space...

I have always used a bushing and properly secured the cable, but don't see the purpose of the raceway seal. I don't know how the moderator thinks that this Article would apply as this is not entering a cabinet, cutout or meter socket.

#12927 08/21/02 08:35 PM
E
I agree with you, Jim. Seems to me that 300.4 is the appropriate reference.

Al

Al Hildenbrand

Link Copied to Clipboard