ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
U
u2slow Offline OP
I'm in 3rd year school right now, and some of the 3-phase math is getting me down... unbalanced delta loads specifically - trying to figure out the line currents.

Our instructor's method works but the values he chooses and when he uses them seems arbitrary. Put the wrong two phasors head to tail, and the resultant in meaningless.

Anyone have some tips or tricks?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

C
There are no "Tricks" in 3 phase, phasor calculations. Just math.

Can You post a specific problem with (or with-out) your instructors solution? And also what your instructor choose in an "arbitrary" manor?

U
u2slow Offline OP
I figured it out [Linked Image] (Thanks for responding!)

My instructor was busy disecting each phasor into X and Y values with sin/cos functions and subtracting them. It just didn't make sense until he showed what he was doing with a phasor diagram and finally had a 3-blade propellor drawn on the board. *Now* that made a whole lot more sense! I worked through a few more problems with the diagrams only... and solved them all. Now the original purely-arithmetic method is starting to make sense. Go figure [Linked Image]

What I found arbitrary was how he assigned the A, B, & C phase subscripts to the current phasors. I now know it doesn't matter - you get same answers no matter how you do it. [Linked Image]

Here is one of the problems. I'll see if I can transcribe the solution and post it up.

Q:

The phase currents in a delta-connected, unbalanced load are 20A, 32A, and 40A. Calculate the three line currents, if all loads are resistors.

A:

52.92A, 62.35A, 45.43A

C
I got the same answers as you on that problem. It took a little while for me to remember how to do it though.

P
I am confused here. What is the equation? I thought it would be amps times the square root of three.
~Peter

Link Copied to Clipboard