ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 96 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#129003 06/23/04 10:12 AM
C
Iwire stated ""In that case the voltage might be 7000 volts or more to ground.

A 25 ohm ground rod with a 7000 volt fault to it will result in 280 amps of current flow, (forgetting about the POCOs grounding resistance) well above the primary overcurrent protection device.""

the rod etc is more for surge and lightning,,,,someone do that math!

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#129004 06/23/04 10:28 AM
N
Grounding can be very confusing but it really is not. A ground rod is not for clearing faults on under 600 volt systems. even a 480 sustem (480/25=19.2) is not likely to clear a fault very quickly.
The grounding electrodes larger than #6 almost always go to the water service entrance and/of building steel.
The ground rod also is for lightning disapation not disapation of an electrical circuit's electron flow. While electricity takes ALL availble paths, the most current will flow on the path of least resistance. Some current will flow from a ground rod back thru the earth to the next closest grounding means ( a water pipe , another ground rod of the POCO ground on a pole). The amount of this current flow will be small in relation to the current back thru the service neutral.
SO the question does a ground rod work? Yes for what it is designed for. No for clearing faults.

ed
#129005 06/27/04 07:40 PM
P
Remember that the 25 ohms to ground is just that 'to ground'. What the resistance back to the grounding electrode at the transformer may be is anyones guess.

And yes the ground rod and grounding electrode will 'dissipate' lightning current, as it does not need to complete a circuit. It will also function as a ground reference.

The original question was what will it really do?
In my opinion - remember my opinion!! it is a waste of time and money in a standard service installation. For years and years, the cold water or steel sufficed. I know that with the advent of plastic pipe, the rods supplement the cold water, but the concrete encased electrode should be made to supplement the cold water, if they really want to accomplish any real purpose.

Pierre

Pierre Belarge
#129006 07/02/04 06:48 PM
I
By cs409
the rod etc is more for surge and lightning,,,,someone do that math!

A rod all by itself can open the overcurrent protection at the voltage levels that the power company uses for local distribution.

It also can help dissipate a lightning strike.

But what kind of surge can it help with?

Only a surge on the neutral, it will do nothing for a surge on either of the ungrounded conductors.

I have a mind set like Pierre's, a ground rod is of little use for the services I generally deal with.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#129007 07/02/04 10:06 PM
T
twh Offline
If you didn't ground the service at the building, wouldn't you risk the earth around the building, and the cement foundation, being at a different potential than the service ground?

It is my view that the purpose of the service ground is to bring the earth to the same potential as the building's bonded systems, and the ground conductor is sized so that it can withstand fault currents that may occur.

#129008 07/03/04 06:33 AM
I
twh, I was only talking about a ground rod, most of the buildings I deal with have other much better electrodes that we are already connected to. [Linked Image]

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#129009 07/03/04 09:55 PM
T
twh Offline
Okay, I handled this poorly. Let me explain:

Where I am, we don't use a ground rod when there is a water line. Last week, I grounded a service to a water line that was 100 feet away from the service.

I think that is a bit far because I once bonded two buildings together that were 200 feet apart and the voltage between the grounds was over 100 volts. That was an unusual circumstance, but once bit, twice shy.

The topic comes up here, and I am interested in the comments. I don't want to take sides, because I don't know.

nesparky said:
A ground rod is not for clearing faults on under 600 volt systems.

In my clumsy way, I'm saying I agree with him.

Then, nesparky gave an opinion:
SO the question does a ground rod work? Yes for what it is designed for. No for clearing faults.

And iwire gave a somewhat different opinion:
a ground rod is of little use for the services I generally deal with.

From the context, I didn't think iwire meant that it was of little use "for what it is designed". Perhaps a direct question would help me understand.

Bob, how can I tell when a ground rod, in addition to the water line, would be of use?

tim

#129010 07/04/04 02:17 PM
P
In a standard service, there is usually a cold water copper pipe that grounds the service. Generally it is located fairly close to the service disconnect.
I will agree that if the coldwater pipe connection is not close to the service disconnect, that ground rods will help to keep the surrounding area in the same potential as the disconnect/system.

But as a supplement to the system in general it is not altogether very effective. That is why I would like to see that a concrete encased (footing) electrode become mandatory for all new installations. I believe that there are some jurisdictions requiring this.

Pierre

Pierre Belarge
#129011 07/04/04 05:14 PM
R
Pierre,
that ground rods will help to keep the surrounding area in the same potential as the disconnect/system.
Not really. About 80% of the total voltage drop associated with a ground rod occurs in the first 24 to 30" around the rod. This small area would be the only area that is at the same potential as the system.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
#129012 07/05/04 02:22 PM
A
ayrton Offline OP
No disrespect intended, because sometimes I will speak "matter of factly" too.
But you all state your "opinions" freely, which, again I have no problem, but where is the physics proof in the statements here?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard