ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Scott35 Offline OP
Broom Pusher and
Hello all;

Saw this pole at the current project I am working on - which is not a Bank!
(well, there's a Bank in this Building, but that's not what I am working on [Linked Image]...)

These Images were taken from the Roof of an existing 4 Floor Commercial Office Building - built in 1966.

[Linked Image]

Image 1: Utility Pole.

Check out how dirty the Insulators are! (the ones with the Yellow Arrows pointing towards are worse than others!)
Looks like there has also been a flash-over situation going on at times. Rains had come through prior to our arrival, which likely washed them off a bit.
It's not clearly seen in the Image, but there's some "Tell-Tale" signs of repeated flash-over on several Insulators.

Along with this, check out what Conductor Material was used for the Primary Feeders + the Underground drop to the Pad Mounted Transformer!
(notice the color?)

One reason for the bright color on everything is shown in this Image below:

[Linked Image]

Image 2: View Of Local Area.

See the Pacific Ocean in the background? It's no more than ½ Mile to the Beach.
Very beautiful area to work in!

One of the things that was odd to me, was the type of Transformer feeding this Building.
It's a normal Pad Mount Utility owned Animal - as shown in the next Image:

[Linked Image]

Image 3: Pad Mount Transformer.

The Transformer is owned by SDG&E, and has the "Mad Electricity Shocking Someone" warning labels on it too! (love those labels!).
The Transformer's setup is a 480 VAC 3Ø 3 Wire Grounded Delta.
What's odd (to me) is the way it's Grounded. It appears to be Center Tap Grounded, not Corner Grounded. (I really expected it to be Ungrounded!)

Found 240 VAC to Ground on two Lines, and "More than 240 VAC" on one Line to Ground, as measured with my Wiggy. I expected to find the "usual" Wiggy's response to an Ungrounded system - nothing to Ground, something Line-to-Line.
When the Wiggy responded with a "Solid" buzz, figured I had a Corner Grounded Delta. Found all three Lines had solid measurements to Ground, and no Active System Grounded Conductor is located in the MSB.

Not that this was a problem, just never expected it!

BTW, we are installing new Gas-Turbine Generating equipment (plus panels and a Transformer), for a Co-Generation System at this Building.
Really interresting stuff! I'll add pictures as things progress.

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

N
Hmm,
1/2 mile from the beach in SDG&E territory. Are you north or south of Camp Pendleton? (Throw me a bone here [Linked Image] )
It's hard to see in the picture but are you pointing out that the cables going to the transformer are concentric neutral with corroded copper? (Another bone requested here)

B
One reason for using 480V center-tap-grounded service is to “skirt” around NEC 230-95 ground-fault-protection. It’s a poor compromise, for you also lose the ability to use ‘slash-rated’ 480Y/277V circuit breakers and 300-volt fuses. The capability for arcing-ground-fault damage compared to 480V grounded-wye service is essentially the same.

Scott,
Cool pictures, there mate!. [Linked Image]
Usually we have problems with the linking wires between the insulators and the Primary cut-outs flashing over between phases, where these have been installed with too much slack on them.
I can't help but notice the "High Voltage" signs on the cross-arms in Image 1.
Any one that is close enough to read that label, should know what they are dealing with. [Linked Image]

Scott35 Offline OP
Broom Pusher and
Hello all, and thanks for the replies!
I'll address them accordingly.

Nick;

Nice to see you again!!! Must have been busy lately.

1/2 mile from the beach in SDG&E territory. Are you north or south of Camp Pendleton?

South of Camp Pendleton. A bit West of Miramar. North of Mission Beach / Mission Bay. Off of Torrey Pines Rd.....
Give up? [Linked Image]

La Jolla.

It's hard to see in the picture but are you pointing out that the cables going to the transformer are concentric
neutral with corroded copper?

Ding!!!
I forgot to make note of this in the message, but the third Yellow Arrow (on the extreme right side), points to the colorful
green oxidation which is common on all exposed conductors.

Bjarney;

One reason for using 480V center-tap-grounded service is to “skirt” around NEC 230-95 ground-fault-protection.

I was thinking in this direction, but wasn't sure if it would be a reality! The Service is 1000 Amps rated (at 480 VAC 3Ø
3W).

Trumpy;

I can't help but notice the "High Voltage" signs on the cross-arms in Image 1.
Any one that is close enough to read that label, should know what they are dealing with

No problem about me getting anywhere near this stuff!!! I am actually >30 feet from the pole, with the lens at full zoom. Even
this was too close for me!
[Linked Image]

Again, thanks to everyone for the replies. Couldn't believe how much built up on the Insulators! One looked like it had a pile of
dirt on it!

See 'ya all soon!

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Scott,
What I actually meant w/ respect to my comments, was people cimbing poles and finding that there are HV lines on the Top Cross-arms.
Just as a question, Scott, 4 cross-arms down, is that a Earth-Potential Neutral Conductor?.
Is that some form of a clamping device on that wire?. [Linked Image]

Scott35 Offline OP
Broom Pusher and
Mike (Trumpy);

What I actually meant w/ respect to my comments, was people cimbing poles and finding that there are HV lines on the Top Cross-arms.

<HOMER SIMPSON>
***DOHHH!!!***
</HOMER SIMPSON>

I am sorry, dude! Thought you were concerned with my proximity!

There's no spikes on this pole, and the Tree's limbs are trimmed off no less than 10 feet above grade - but as you know, this will not stop the most determined Bozos from climbing the pole "Just because It's There!"

Fortunately, there is no outbreak of Clowns climbing 12 KV poles for fun (guess no one has taped such madness and sent it to "Jackass"!). Hope this remains a true statement for many years to follow.

As to the remainimg stuff on this pole:

4 cross-arms down, is that a Earth-Potential Neutral Conductor?.

I believe it's another Utility (this pole is shared Utility).
The lower ones - 3rd and 4th down, are CATV and Telco.
As I remember, the 3rd one down is the Local Cable Utility's Trunk, and the 4th one down is the Telco Utility's Trunk.
(at least, I think this is what you are referring to - the shorter crossarms, which are below the 2nd "High Voltage" set, and fall right under + inline with that Guy Wire which heads towards the "Time/Date Stamp"???)

Is that some form of a clamping device on that wire?.

I am unsure whaddaheck it actually is - or what it's called, but it is something used in conjunction with the "Messenger Guy" (Guy Wire that supports the Cable), and is a mounting base for "Tap Outlets" which are Inline on the Trunk Cable(s).
I do not know the correct term for these things, but it's where the COAX cables to subscribers terminate to the Trunk (for CATV), or where the Customer's drop to the NID (Demarc) terminates into the Trunk (for Telco).
I really need to learn these terms - so any website links or other information from anyone would be greatly appreciated (sp???).

Let me know if the areas I described have something / nothing to do with your reply!
[Linked Image]

Thanks for the messages, Mike!

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
N
La Jolla,
Pretty nice area. I was supposed to do the new headquarters for IDEC off Noble and the 805 just a few miles from there. We lost the job though. [Linked Image] Don't you work in San Bernardino now? Or did you move companies again?

Scott35 Offline OP
Broom Pusher and
San Berdoo.... That was quite some time ago!
That option fell through for some reason, so never got out that way.

Whaddya think of that Church on Nobel @ the 5 Fwy? Huge Spires! Great location for Lightning hits to those tall Spires (they are the highest points in the entire area - and the Church is located one of the highest points of the hills!).

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Hey Scott,
Thanks a heap for your info, mate!. [Linked Image]
Most appreciated.
I never even thought of it being a Dual service pole.
One thing I do find strange(compared to here), is the fact that the Primary fuses and the Surge Diverter brackets clip around the cross-arms, where-as, over here, they are bolted through the cross-arm, with Stainless Steel bolts and nuts and huge washers. [Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard