ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by HotLine1 - 04/23/24 02:17 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 231 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
Found 240 VAC to Ground on two Lines, and "More than 240 VAC" on one Line to Ground, as measured with my Wiggy.
Around 415V maybe? Now where have run into that voltage before? [Linked Image]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

B
What I believe Scott35 is describing is a three-phase four-wire delta configuration, but at double the voltage of the usual “240/120V 3ø 4W∆” system. See lower left illustration at 6L6.net/localuser/busbar/imag/eei10.distckt.jpg

It has been used in some cases to skirt the NEC 230-95 service-entrance ground-fault protection mandated for ‘1000+ ampere’ 480Y/277V systems. It is the worst combination for a grounded 480V system, because 277-volt overcurrent devices cannot be safely applied, similar to the problematic corner-grounded 480V-delta system, but it still has the potentially disastrous capability of switchgear arcing-ground-fault burndown recognized {and normally protected for by GFP} in 4-wire 480Y/277V solidly-grounded systems.

{The mutant ‘480/240V 3ø 4W∆’ system is used occasionally by some utilities in the US, but should have 3-element metering to correctly register energy use as in other 4-wire solidly-grounded systems—with careful understanding of limitations.}

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 01-06-2004).]

Scott35 Offline OP
Broom Pusher and
Correct - as Bjarney mentions I was refering to a 3Ø 4 Wire Delta - with Center Tapped winding, of the "Double Voltage" family.

I found 240 VAC on two of the three Phase Lines - as measured L-G, and on one Phase Line, found "More Than 240 VAC to Ground" - and since this smells "Delta-Ish", one could figure the Voltage to Ground on that single Maverick Phase Line to be in the area of 415.68 VAC
(240 × 1.732)

First thing I was thinking when there was a Voltage to Ground measured (with a Wiggy), was a Wye setup - having the Common Star Point Grounded. Finding >240 VAC to Ground on one Phase Line was totally unexpected, and debunked the Wye concept!

This was a nice "Whaddaheck" experience to me, as it was so totally unexpected!
(however, the guy I was working with found this to be of no interest, which really bummed me out!).

Bjarney;

The Image referenced in the last post didn't have "Image Tags" enclosing the URL (as far as I can see).
Let's see if it shows up in this message with tags surrounding it.

[Linked Image from ]

If it does not work, maybe you can try something else, enclosing its URL with image tags.

FYI, this looks like:

[img] URL to reference [/img]

Only, do not use any spaces like I have done here (did this to eliminate the BB software from going Berserk trying to figure out that tag!).

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
B
Ooops on my part... "http://" was incorrectly stripped by me.
http://6l6.net/localuser/busbar/imag/eei10.distckt.jpg

If you copy and paste " 6l6.net/localuser/busbar/imag/eei10.distckt.jpg " into the IE address field it works.

An alternate [color!] version is http://home.att.net/~benmiller/elecsys.htm
"CENTER-TAP GROUNDED DELTA" illustration—second three-phase four-wire configuration

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 01-07-2004).]

B
[Linked Image from 6l6.net]

M
Scott,
I am actually >30 feet from the pole

Okay, it's an optical illusion then, because in the first picture it looks like the trees and the pole are right up on the roof, touching it actually! [Linked Image]

Bjarney,
How would you place an EWP to "come up" to this particular pole?.
Given all of the messenger wires. [Linked Image]

B
Maybe drive it up to the roof and approach it from the top? ;-)

[ ? Elevated Work Platform ? ]

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 01-10-2004).]

Whoa!!.
LOL [Linked Image]
Maybe drive it up to the roof and approach it from the top? ;-)
So there are still people out there that have the same way of thinking as me!. [Linked Image]
BTW, Bjarney, sorry 'bout the use of the term EWP, most normal people would call it a Bucket Truck, which it is really!. [Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard