ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
H
wolfdog wrote
>>Think about your reply to me,<<
>>...twice as many watts....<<
Wellll, maybe a few more than twice as many watts. Am I limited to the amount of watts I can pull through a 200 amp service? If I am running say 175 amps at 460v that would be 80,500 watts. Is that to much for a single phase 200 amp service?
Thank You.
Hillbilly

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

R
A 200 amp single phase 240 volt service is 48,000 watts.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
N
Hillbilly,
175A @ 460V 3 phase is 139,265 watts. That is 580A at 240V 1PH.

S
I don't think the power company would run the 240v line for 8 miles. There should be a higher voltage(single phase) a lot closer to you, that might be available.

Steve
H
Stamcon,
I thought about were you are coming from and have done some reading and internet research. I learned how transformers are used to actuate the long distance transmission and local distribution of voltages. I also checked out the site of a company that sells transformers. They have single phase pole mounted transformers with secondary voltages of 240/480. I see what you are getting at, if I can get single phase 240/480 volts. I could convert it the same as I am doing the 120/240 single phase. Great idea. Thank you very much. At this point I think I will do more research into all the different areas of electricity and electrical wireing etc. and try to learn as much as I can. Then I will get a testing meter and test all the different aspects of my system and document everything. After that I will try to talk my power co op into giving me a 200 amp 240/480 volt service or another 200 amp 120/240 service or both. Thanks again for your help.

P
My hat off to a pretty sharp hillbillysawmiller!!!!!! I would love to get a copy of your system layout when you get it written, I have several engineer friends that would not believe your setup. Good luck!

D
Amazing hillybilly, I too would love to see your setup.

T
Three cheers indeed, if it bears repeating. One of the more interesting posts I have seen here.

Hillbillysawmiller.
Using single-phase power to run machinery of the size you describe is awfully inefficient. Perhaps you should consider using a primary power source for your 'scragg mill' such as a diesel-engine salvaged from a truck. (What is a scragg mill, by the way?). This would leave the rest of your machinery running wired up as now, with capacity for further future expansion. A diesel engine is a very efficient machine, probably 40% of the fuel energy (diesel-oil contains about 8.3 kilowatt-hours per US gallon), converted to shaft power, and driving the mill direct for a man of your undoubted practical engineering talent would be easier and cheaper than playing about with 100HP of trick motors and risking the CoOp pulling the plug on you. Also with some pipework, you could have up to 130,000 Btu of free heat for the mill/your house plumbed off the engine cooling system. Keep the transmission complete and run off the vehicle propshaft- then you can use the vehicle gearbox to set the optimum speed band. Any diesel engine will have a governor, so a hand operated throttle off the injector pump will give reasonable speed control between mill idling and full load. Now, a road-going truck governor runs at about 10% speed variation, (for driveability reasons), which means the mill will hunt some 10% on/off load. A better engine would be off an agricultural tractor, because the governors on these are set about 6%, with the bonus of a PTO shaft and the hand throttle built in! You could get 4% governing (best) off an air-compressor, water-pump or electrical-generator engine, but the transmission would be more challenging.

regards
English Bob.

Wood work but can't!
Hillbillysawmiller

Correction. That should have read 38 kilowatt hours per US gallon. Can't get used to the metric system we use in Europe now!

English Bob

Wood work but can't!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard