ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 409 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Luke,
I'm not an old timer on this site
Who gives a toss?.
The thing is, is that you are here giving your opinion. [Linked Image]
This subject has come up a few times since I've been here.
Sure a lot of us older folk have seen these threads before, but to a certain degree, it means that the "younger" folk are at least still using their brains.
Don't get me wrong, I'm no better than the new kid here, I'm still learning, the day that I stop, I will be the first to tell Bill (Addiss) to cancel my membership here.
If you stop learning, you are better off dead.

S
Ragnar said:
[quote]The only thing I could find was an imported US table lamp with an adaptor which has been hooked up forever in our living room. When I tried to hook it up I nearly got a fit. The adaptor was as stone aged as the lamp and it wouldn't fit Schuko receptacles![quote]

I would have just chopped off the American plug (assume it was moulded?) and used a standard Austrian plug instead.

Less chance of indoor fireworks.... [Linked Image]

N
If you stop learning, your better off dead

Thats really really good advice.

As for the holes, I have seen very cheaply made plugs on low-quality electronics that do not have holes in them. They still fit outlets. Just a side note. [Linked Image]

T
I would have just chopped off the American plug (assume it was moulded?) and used a standard Austrian plug instead.

Less chance of indoor fireworks....
Hey... I'm a freak [Linked Image]
Chopping off the plug would be boring... and no, I didn't really consider using the "Mexican trick".

It's not a "Mexican Trick" at all, just a very bad trick.

I've seen #18s stuck through the holes, twisted around the prongs, and wrapped with making tape. This to run a drill press in a wood cabinet shop.

L
Hi Trumpy, all I was getting at was that violations such as these have probably already been documented in this forum, and ECN members that have been around this site longer than I have seen this before. Thats all. [Linked Image]

Luke

Luke Clarke
Electrical Planner for TVA.

F
I work in a hospital and once asked A Hubble rep.Turns out any manufacturer who makes Hospital grade plugs and recepticals install the bumps on the receptical springs and holes on the plug prongs in order to raise the tension needed to separate the two
He went on to say that hospital grade and spec grade cord caps and recepicals are made on the same assembly line.
Instead of sample testing one in every batch for acceptable tension all get tested and any that require 15in/lbs or more to remove get sent on to have the hospital grade green dot installed and price jacked up.It also helps remove the "slop factor" inharent to all mass produced products where everything averages out but are never exactly the same.
We actually have Hubbel meters(modified fish scales)with which we test every plug in the hospital once a year
I have also seen inspectors put the red tag on them for unapproved equipment.This way we cant say we didn't see it's $5000 to the person who plugs it in.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard