ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Which are better? Safer?
(Metal or Plastic Cover plates)

Bill
S
well you shouldn't use a metal blank cover on a plastic box right?, so that would be out....

Tom Offline
For most work I prefer the flexible & virtually indestructible nylon plates made by Hubbell. They do have the drawback of not snugging up to the wall as tight as regular plastic & this can be a problem on 3 gang or larger boxes.

Tom

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
I don't like how the nylon plates "dimple" when the screws are tightened. I guess you have to leave them loose to make it look right. Just has a cheap plastic look compared to the hard plastic ones...(boy that sounds dumb...)

I use metal plates with handy boxes or in commercial applications where metal plates are used elsewhere. (Stainless for food services, etc.)And, yes, only with metal boxes.

I do have concerns about the covers having enough ampacity to trip the OCPD during a short to ground. Joe's pics in the violations section give me such a concern.

In using deep handy's with GFCI's, are there metal "Decora" covers available for handy boxes? I haven't been able to find them, and the plastic covers don't fit well on a handy box.

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
you shouldn't use a metal blank cover on a plastic box right?
That sounds right. If you solder a ground wire onto it and bond it to the ground wire in the box, that ought to be okay. A lot of work...

W
[Linked Image] I would have to agree with Sparky, don't use a metal cover on a plastic box.

I would say that the plastic over the metal any day. safer,more economical, and non conductive.

Of course there are other factors that you would have to consider in metal over plastic, durability ect........ [Linked Image]

Wayne

S
I'm with sparky on the plastic box issue. In residential applications, I like the hard plastic type because I think they look better than nylon. As far as steel plates are concerned, I like them in almost all commercial applications. Device cover plates that are UL listed have been tested, and are perfectly acceptable by the NEC.

Link Copied to Clipboard