ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 565 guests, and 35 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
I had a feeling the field strength would increase a little! By the time you reach experiment #294 it'll be 13.8kV on 2000' coils and magnetic objects levitating all over town! [Linked Image]

Cliff,
As a matter of interest, did you note the frequency of the interference you were picking up on that 100' extension?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Broom Pusher and
Amp-Man, a few questions;

<OL TYPE=1>

[*] Is the PC crashing to a "Blue Screen" (AKA The Blue Screen Of Death)?,

[*] If Blue Screens, does this bring up an Exeption OE within NDIS and NWDIR, or similar NIC responsive Kernals / DLLs?,

[*] Do the blue screens become less frequent when either the monitor is powered off for a while, or when the TVSS strip is not used?

</OL>

I have serviced this type of problem a few times and found it to be faulty MOVs in TVSS strips and failing power supplies in the Monitor.
These hard errors were results of randomly occuring drops in line voltage and current, which probably do not go more than 4 cycles per drop. Just enough to create havoc on the motherboard, but not enough to bring the PC power supply into "Low Power" state.

I have only seen a handful of Low Power situations, and these commonly result in a "Warm Boot" restart, rather than any types of Protection Faults or Blue Screens.
These normally restart the machine and lock it into error status at the POST on the more expensive machines. Cheap-o's will simply reboot to the Operating System once the "Power Good" signal is sent from the Power Supply to the CPU [taking it out of restart loop].

I like your testing and results! Keep up the work!

Paul stole [Linked Image] my ideas! <joking>

I could see the mG levels being through the roof with the first two setups! Can't figure why they are so high when the circuit is connected as normal - especially when driving a Linear load!
Something with Harmonics would be a No-Brainer to figure odd mG readings, or maybe I am not thinking correctly here!

Also curious about the test bench - is it Ferrous metal [Iron, Nickel or Cobalt based]? Something that would cause an Inductive Effect to the coiled cables.

As you know, if the coil was wound with two wires carrying currents of equal intensity in opposite directions, this will [somewhat] nullify the Magnetic Field created by Inductance. True for AC and DC.
If there is a difference in Intensity, this will create a significant Magnetic Flux. If this current was AC, this would Induce currents into nearby conductors [basis of GFCI's]. If there is some method of "Harnessing" the Magnetic Flux, this would result in XL influencing the circuit's Currents, resulting in a noticable Voltage Difference on the "Load" side of this XL.

Paul hit the nail on the head when mentioning the heat build up. This is the result of Series Resistance in the Conductors, so there is a transfer of True Power at these points - we feel the result of the True Power transfer as Heat [or smell it as smoke [Linked Image]].

Poor Power Factor [50% or less] will draw an excessive level of currents, which overloads or "Saturates" the conductor materials with too much current. In this case, this can result in Heat and corresponding Voltage Drop, due to the increased currents drawn through a fixed [and increasing with heat] Resistance.

Enough of the babble! [Linked Image]

Good luck with the T Shooting!

Scott S.E.T.

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
P

1. Is the PC crashing to a "Blue Screen" (AKA the Blue Screen of Death)?,

I thought that meant that Windows was operating normally [Linked Image]

Sorry, couldn't resist that one...

B
Scott35-- I'll bet BSODs would be history if you just got a new Wallmart Super-Surge plug strip. They actually had some that were marked 'Internet Ready' and 'Fully Y2K Compliant'!

P
I recall hearing about someplace that was advertising a "Y2K compliant" screwdriver a while back! [Linked Image]

Although I'm going off on a slight tangent here, the interference problem with sensitive equipment is considered a big problem in some telecoms places.

At the Goonhilly Satellite Station we had a site 11kV primary with back-up generators feeding xfmrs for normal 240/415V 3-phase to each building. But the xfmr banks and distribution gear were split to provide "clean" supplies for comms equipment and "dirty" supplies for everything else.

M
To answer the workbench question the bench is made of wood, nothing magnetic about it.
But I just got a new meter true rms, crest etc. and a huge choke. Adjustable from 1-130 volts. Will be posting the results as they come in.
Somebody asked if there was a gauss reading with no load small but it was still there and yes even without a load the non-contact tester still indicated voltage present.
As far as the field goes with the normal currrent orientation the 250 foot coil is exactly that it was a coil, and created a good size magnetic field. smaller somewhat when the flow was in the same direction, but still very noticeable.

-Mark-

C
Mark,
Thanks for all your efforts and reporting the test results.I believe it was very interesting and educational.

Chris

Broom Pusher and
<quote>

1. Is the PC crashing to a "Blue Screen" (AKA the Blue Screen of Death)?,

I thought that meant that Windows was operating normally

Sorry, couldn't resist that one...
<quote>

LOL!!! Seems like most MS Operating Systems need to Blue Screen once things become stable [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
And this from a die-hard MS O/S user! [me..]

<quote>
Scott35-- I'll bet BSODs would be history if you just got a new Wallmart Super-Surge plug strip. They actually had some
that were marked 'Internet Ready' and 'Fully Y2K Compliant'!
<quote>

ROTFLOL!!!
I've got to get one! At least the box, or sticker with the very informative text!

No ends of insanity with that Y2K rollover craze!

I need a Plugstrip which works with HTML stuff and accesses CGI's without problems! Does it work well with Netscape?

Thanks to Paul and Bjarney for the laughs!

Scott S.E.T.

Scott " 35 " Thompson
J
paul uk
RE;
Thinking about it some more, I guess I would expect some inductance, because the line/neutral fields aren't going to cancel out precisely due to the wires not being perfectly uniform throughout the whole 250' coil.

I suppose it comes down to a question of just how much inductance it is possible to get in this way.

Why are the wires not uniform throughout the 250 coil when it is presumably manufactured double insulated pvc flex type cable?

If the cable was to have some kind of inductance would this not leave the cpc susceptible to an induced voltage creating leakage currents to earth?

dont mean to sound nasty just intrested to know thats all!!

on 40 metre extension cords, printed on the real is 4 amps unwound and 13 wound.

ps i like the experiments [Linked Image]

Broom Pusher and
James;

Why are the wires not uniform throughout the 250 coil when it is presumably
manufactured double insulated pvc flex type cable?

I guess the best explanation I could give is the cable is not designed to be something "Precise" - like the difference between Plain-'Ol Multiwire Thermostat cable (18/6) and CAT-5e UTP cable.

Scott35

p.s. glad you brought this thread back to life! Very interresting stuff here!

I wanna check out Motor-T's Garage! Never get us out of there!
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Any invitations, Mark? [Linked Image]

S.E.T.

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard