ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 298 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
Eandrew Offline OP
an electrical engineer told me (I'm a fourth year apprentice)that we get more amps per circular mil area with two smaller conductors than one larger conductor each have the same total circular mil area due to heat disapation. in short, the parallel setup, dissapates heat better. But then my forman says that the only reason we do it is for pulling reasons. But if that was true wouldnt you get get bigger pipe/ box etc. Who is correct or more correct?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

R
Look at the ampacities of the larger cables in Table 310.16. What is the ampacity of 250kcmil? 500kcmil? Does the cable that has twice the area have twice the ampacity?
Don(resqcapt19)

Don(resqcapt19)
E
Eandrew Offline OP
well, for a 250kcmil has ampacity of 215 amps
two 250 kcmil in parralel have ampacity of 430 amps.
Now, an equivelant area to two 250 kcmils would be a 500kcmil which has a ampacity of 320amps. A 110 amps less than two parralel 250 kcmil. given in same insulation types.

B
I mean no offense, but am surprised that fourth-year training hasn't covered 310-4.

M
All things that produce heat can only dissipate the heat through their surface. More surface area equals better heat dissipation. Multiple conductors have more surface area than one conductor. And multiple conduits have better heat disipation than one conduit.

E
Eandrew Offline OP
Thank you very much for your responses. I very much like this web site to increase my knowledge. And then pass it on down the road. thanks again

Broom Pusher and
One other benifit of Paralled Conductors would be a reduction of Skin Effect, which is kind of why two Conductors which total the CM's of a single Conductor can handle more Current.

Scott S.E.T.

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
C
First, I am not an electrician.

I;'m in HVAC.

My son-in-law bought a new mobile home. THE HOOKUP USE FOUR WIRES.I was told, two hots, one ground and one neutral. Now the neutral and the ground were put under the same lug. Both at the service loop and the distribution box.
HOW CAN THEY BE DEFFERENT, UNDER THE SAME LUG.
I always thought the were derrerent, but maybe not.
What is the derrerence between the ground and the neutral.

Broom Pusher and
Cecil,

Normally, the Grounded Conductor [AKA the Neutral, or Noodle to be more specific [Linked Image]] would only be Ground Bonded at the main service [we will not include the PoCo's Grounding at the Transformer, since this will complicate things]. If there is a Transformer which the customer has connected on the load side of the main service, the noodle for that system will be grounded at that Xformer only [I'm keeping things simple here!]

Some times a noodle will be re-connected to a grounding electrode system for a sub panel [separate buildings]. This one needs to have only the Earth its self as any conductive path between points of Grounding [Grounding Electrode Systems, or connections between EGCs of the two different panels].

To sum it up, having the noodle ground bonded at the service panel and at a sub panel will cause the Equipment Grounding Conductor to carry some current during normal operation - more than it is supposed to be carrying. This becomes an issue.

If the bonding is done at one universal place / panel, this would be the design intention and be proper Grounding for the noodle.

The point is to not have a parallel ["Neutral"] current flowing in the EGC, or any "Large" amount of current flowing on the EGC during normal operation [Large being something over 1 Amp at the most].

I'm not sure if this explains it well enough for you, so feel free to fire some more Q's this way and most likely another member can pick up the subject and explain it much better to you.

Scott S.E.T.

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
It can also be less expensive. If you have a chance, look at the price difference between 2" conduit, and 2-1/2". The price is almost double. Copper wire gets expensive in the larger sizes. Then, the labor to install the larger pipe and wire is something else to consider.

Why not parallel?,
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard