ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 205 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#12793 08/16/02 12:35 AM
M
makyts Offline OP
For the first time I’m going to be involved in design/build project. I’m not sure how should I prepare proposal for that situation. What I mean is that , I want to make sure that after design phase (where I put my time and knowledge)-when the blueprint will be ready – I will get the job. Bottom line- I want to protect my price against other lower bids for that project. So I want to write design/built proposal, which meet above conditions but on the other hand will give the client impression that the project will be done for the fair price. Did you guys deal before with this kind of circumstances? Any useful web links?

Regards

Makyts

#12794 08/16/02 10:03 AM
G
Maykts,
Lord help you, it's all I do now. You make certain that whatever you design meets the RFP (Request for Proposal for all you non DB types [Linked Image] ) and that the client is certain you have their interest as primary.

If you over design, which is a natural tendency, you will be over priced. DB is the best avenue for change orders that was ever used.

I'm involved on the other end, I approve design/spec, then insure code compliance while assessing schedule. I make no noise for spec because in DB, you can change spec in 30 day cycles as long as you meet the code and RFP. I simply point out you did not meet the spec (with an NCN if it really ticks me off) and wait for the change.

That is how you protect your price, design for the minimum and expect the client to issue the change notices. Be very careful of codes though, I'm sure the RFP states to meet all applicable codes. I just nailed a guy on NFPA 101 where we used battery back up for emergency egress - it requires an average of 1 fc and he wasn't close, probably the only time it did not involve a change order.

Pay attention to the weekly progress meetings and listen to the inspection/engineering CM teams concerns. I don't mean do everything they say, but if their legitimate address them, do not simply blow them off.

If this is your first, and you get it, hang on cowboy, you're in for a wild ride, but ya get used to it.

Sorry guys. NCN = Non-Compliance Note, CM = Construction Management.

BTW - before everyone thinks I'm a complete jurque (high priced jerk) I notified the contractor (at those damned weekly meetings) that I felt the lighting was insufficient in that area for egress and asked to see his photometrics. He pretty much blew me off and said he was the one who knew what he was doing. I pursued with RFI's (Request for Information.......geeez this thing has a language of it's own don't it [Linked Image] )and he still blew me off. I waited until all the lights were hung, drywall up and finished, and took a light meter in there at 4 am, THEN wrote an NCN. NOW it's a lot more difficult to do what he has to do.......meet the code.

[This message has been edited by George Corron (edited 08-16-2002).]

#12795 08/16/02 02:02 PM
B
Scary, George, but your post was one of the few that gave me that 'old home week' feeling. I am one of the customer/contractor interface points, too, since I'm in Project Controls.

I do the documentation when a project is initially being planned, justified to the money-folks, and the person who goes to the procurement folks to beg for their effort on an RFP/RFQ/Contracting process. After the contract is awarded and field work started, I count beans and mark days off on the calendar to ensure that everyone is keeping up their end of the deal on performance. I basically get to make sure that all the paperwork gets done and it's a real joy... [Linked Image]

#12796 08/17/02 09:14 AM
F
George-

Did you use your light meter to measure various points along the path of egress?

I assume the 1 Fc or greater light level must be maintained over the entire path until exit of building. Am I correct?

Frank

#12797 08/17/02 06:13 PM
G
Frank,
I don't have my NFPA 101 here at home. The code reads that you have to have a minimum of .1 fc across entire path (no less than measured anywhere) with an average of 1 fc.
If you need I can grab it Monday and get the section.

#12798 08/18/02 05:25 AM
F
You already answered my question. Thanks George.

Link Copied to Clipboard